Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i had posted a while back about this same 67 coupe on ebay before. its in texas and has some what seems to be surface rust only in the trunk. it hasnt had one bid yet. i had decided to pass on it, but i was thinking, IF it doesnt sell do you think it might be worth it to check it out and offer $4000? heres the link:
thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
My advice? Stay away from ebay. I've heard to many stories of people getting screwed. From what I've seen, you live in California. I see more mustangs there than anywhere else I've visited. Keep your eyes open, your bound to see a for sale sign in one of them.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The cars is worth the buy now. If it was as simple as bid on the car, win the car, and actually get the car, and not get screwed in the process.

K

·
0 Posts
Do yourself a big favor and find a'67 in Califronia. Within driving distance so you can personally check the car out.
Stop with the far away dreams, the better cars are in your own backyard.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was as simple as bid on the car, win the car, and actually get the car, and not get screwed in the process.
im alittle confused, please expand on this.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
go to the texas forum and see if someone is close enough to take a look for you, if it wasnt 6 hours from me I would offer to check it out and take a lot of digital pictures. I have heard, dont have any experience, but have heard you can ship a car for around 500-1000 within the US

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i did buy it, we would drive it back.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Alright, I've about had it. Do you just never read your responses? Every time you post with a car you found, everybody tells you to look around where you live. You have easy access to the best cars. But what do you do? Ignore them. Over and over again.

And every time somebody gives you a piece of advice, you question it. And then, when the VMF confirms it, you still question it. Someone says "If it's going to be a daily driver, an auto is better than a manual", and you say "Yeah, but is a manual a good idea for a daily driver?" And it repeats. Everyone gives you the same advice, but you never even seem to read it.

What's wrong with you? You never listen to anything anyone says (Your dad tells you to keep the truck he gave you, and you can't sell it, but you still want to. Everyone on the VMF says to buy a local car, because you're in California, the rust-free capitol of the Mustang world, but you still say "I can fly free to Michigan (or where ever) and drive it back".) In my eyes, you're just elenor4me with a slightly higher grip on reality. Don't know who that is? Do a search, read all his posts. Maybe you'll see what I'm talking about.

Now, to the general VMF: I am sorry for this outburst. I know it's rude, and I should just not respond, and I don't have to read his posts, but I still do. The O/T haters still seem to read O/T posts, and I still read this kids posts (to see if he ever learns anything usually). He was actually on my "Ignore List" for a while, but I just couldn't seem to not read his posts.

I debated making up an identity to post this, so as to not get flamed myself, but I decided not to.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I agree Brad...sometimes ya gotta hit them with a little reality...if I was anywhere near California, I wouldnt be working on this "good Ole ohio" rustbucket that I thought i got a good deal on..everyone is trying to steer him to his own back yard to find a (somewhat) rustfree car, but he still insists on traveling across the country for something that he hasnt seen, and will no doubt have more rust than anything he can look at within an hours drive from his house...I have learned the hard way..rust is EXPENSIVE to fix..start with a good foundation...the mechanicals are a breeze compared to body work ;)
..Joe

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Ahh to be young again. I remember my friends and I wanted to go to spring break in Daytona Sooooo bad and none of us had a way to get down there. (no cars) We found a 1964 Buick Wildcat 4dr with a zillion miles on it for $125 and each pitched in $25, even though all of our folks said it was crazy. It was still cold in Michigan where we lived, but we were GOING TO SPRING BREAK!! We pacxked up that car with several pairs of shorts and left most of our heavy coats home because, hey, who needs them in sunny Florida right? We all piled in (5) even though I don't think ANY of us bothered to so much as check the oil. Expired plates, no insurance too! Off we went early in the morning with no more than $150 bucks between us. After about an hour of bliss we broke a fan belt. It took us 3 hours to get that fixed in Rockwood or Rockdale or something like that South of Detroit. After some cheap food we were back on the road again. The car made it into south Ohio before frying a rear axle bearing causing the entire axle to slide out of the shaft about a foot causing the tire to stick out a foot too and bend the axle before we came to a stop. We had no choice but to abandon the car on the side of the raod and hitch hike home. We had to split up to do it too. It was freezing cold and all we had were light jackets. So, take it from a former 16 year old. There is nothing you could have done to prevent that fateful road trip and there is nothing you could do about someone not wanting to look in the "rust free Mustang capital of the world." So, don't sweat it and just think about him stuck on the side of the road in New Mexico hitchhiking a ride back to California. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Listen to collective wisdom of the VMF. You keep asking for advice, so take it!

That said, you will be time & money ahead if you can find a car and inspect it in person as opposed to buying one and relying on the seller's word. What happens if you buy this car, and the small amount of the rust in the trunk is rotted out frame rails and rear quarter panels/drop offs? Now, because you relied on someone else's word you have more problems to deal with.

Go to here and search for a mustang. I found 16 1967 Mustangs in California for under $6,000! Most of which are V8's.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Well then Brad, why not let him have a "car search" meets "Roadtrip" experience of his own? If he does, I bet he takes Dorthy's advice and realizes that there is no place like home when he buys his next one. I know now not to take any more cross country road trips in $125 cars! LOL

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Oh man coming from the rust belt of the world, and you have the choice to buy a california car.....because you live in california !!!!
Why give your self all the extra grief of traveling to another state and tempting fate with ebay when you live in the land of plenty already.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF RUST ON VEH.. MOST WERE SURFACE RUST AND HAS BEEN REPAIRED.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Where there's rust, there's MORE rust.

I'm with the others. You keep asking, but only want to hear one answer. If you're intent on driving a 40 year old rust bucket that you know nothing about across the Rocky Mountains, then through the desert, then through the Sierra Mountains, have at it. If the rust doesn't give you ulsers, the drive will ... been there, done that. If you insist on buying a car out of state, fork over the $ to ship it back.

All in all, that's not a bad car, aside from the rust. Is this car supposed to be a daily driver, though? With 4-11 gears and a 4 speed? I hope for your sake, that Dad's paying your gas bill, or you have a very good paying job. All I hear from my kids is how they can barely afford to keep gas in their tanks, and neither has as much performance parts as this cars, and NOTHING like 4-11 gears. Remember ... we pay the highest rate IN THE COUNTRY for gasoline! That car would make a great weekend warior, after the rust is fixed. It is NOT my idea of a daily driver for a teen ager.

The pictures of that car pretty much worthless because they're so small. One has to wonder if this is intentional ;) I've looked at enough cars to know that 99% of car sellers WAY over-state everything. Rebuilt engine means the spark plugs were changed. Easy restoration means the car is totally trashed. Small amount of rust means it used to have more rust and now it just has a small amount around the gaping holes. ;)

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
There is nothing you could have done to prevent that fateful road trip
Oh boy, does THAT story bring back memories... ::
Almost the same thing, bunch of guys, stranded hundreds of miles from home, no money, broken car...
I can look back and smile, now :p

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I told this to my friend in GA. So many times. i found him a 68 J code 10 miles from his house. He was looking at cars in PA and up north.
LOOK NEAR YOU....SAVE ALITTLE WHILE YOUR HUNTING...when you find the car it will tell you.

K

·
0 Posts
Well said Brad.
Maybe we should start advising him the opposite way.
Tell him to buy the next Mustang he finds. Believe me I don't feel sorry for anyone who won't take good advice, so lets give him bad advice.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I travel a lot for the Army so last year I went on a similar search for the perfect car. I was lucky, I could look a lot of places while traveling so it didn't cost me too much. But I would have had to pay that big cost to ship it if I had found one. Here is a quick review of the cars I looked at - crap, crap, POS, uninformed seller, crap, dishonest seller, POS and crap. Oh, almost forgot the last one, crap. Finally found what I wanted through friends and a reasonable distance away.

Listen to the wise members of VMF - look close to home and be greatful home is California.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts