Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Kurt67, and 289 Fan for the info. But all things you two mention have been done..except one..The Torque box. I am not familer with this term.What is a Torque Box ????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the come on convertibles. they tie the subframe to the rocker panels. am i right?

Corpus Christi TX

·
Registered
67 Posts
Verts have two, one beneath the toe boards one the driver's and passenger sides...Coupes only have one on the driver's side.

Mike

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
All my 67 and 68 coupes had two, one on each side.

John L. Anschutz
Allen, TX
68 Diamond Blue Coupe - 302
68 Acapulco Blue Coupe - I6 - 200
http://www.dallas.net/~jjmsansc/parts/Stangs.jpg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A torque box is the thick (14ga.) box that is welded in beneath the kick panel(s) on your car. They prevent body flex that is produced when the engine turns. The cars motor turns toward the drivers side when it runs. Just rev your car while its sitting and you will see the whole car sway towards the drivers side. Convertibles have one on each side to make up for the absence of roof support (they also have thicker floor pans - which is why they are more difficult to replace). My guess why a coupe or fastback has two is because it came with a big block, but im not sure. My small block coupe has only one.

Woodman

67 coupe - 302 4V, C4, Versailles 9"

·
Registered
283 Posts
My 390 FB only has one though. I wonder if it would be worth putting the other one on for a hard driven car?

67 FB GT S-code
4-speed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts