Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an after market right front fender. It fits almost perfect as far as body lines etc. My problem is when I bolt it up in -place and bring the bottom in to meet the rocker panel it raises up the top of the fender by the cowl. I'm guessing it's because of the vertical brace inside of the fender. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue ?

·
Premium Member
13,354 Posts
There was a recent thread about some sort of fender fitment issue and the OP or another responder posted a photo of how they cut the aft brace, got the fender to fit and then welded that brace back together.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Woodchuck.....It's a 67 ...there are no nuts, only bolts. I can have them all in & the one inside by the pillar & everything looks good until I push the bottom in to meet the rocker panel. Then the fender raises up at the cowl area !!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes awhtx....I thought I saw a post about it too but I can't find it. I tried the search thing here but no luck. I'm thinking cutting and welding is the only solution but not sure where to cut the brace ! I'm guessing near the top edge of the fender so I don't change the curve of the fender to the door !

·
Registered
37,786 Posts
Yes Woodchuck.....It's a 67 ...there are no nuts, only bolts. I can have them all in & the one inside by the pillar & everything looks good until I push the bottom in to meet the rocker panel. Then the fender raises up at the cowl area !!
Well, if it means pulling the fender back off anyway, I'd screw the lip that would normally go to the apron to the edge of a 2 x 4, clamp that to my workbench or other suitable surface, climb behind it with a flashlight and pull in on the bottom to see just where to make the cut that will stop it from raising the top.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advise Woodchuck.....meanwhile I'm going to keep searching for the post where someone had the same problem !

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
I see no mention of you putting shim (fender washers) between the lower bolt bracket and the body. Those were often used even on factory fenders.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought an after market right front fender. It fits almost perfect as far as body lines etc. My problem is when I bolt it up in -place and bring the bottom in to meet the rocker panel it raises up the top of the fender by the cowl. I'm guessing it's because of the vertical brace inside of the fender. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue ?
I'm currently fighting fender/door/quarter alignment issues also. The doors an quarters are pretty good now but the fenders might as well been made on Mars. They are older aftermarket ones that were on the car, but I have since replaced the entire front clip, doors, rockers, you name it. I have had to "modify" the mounting hole locations on them so far, the left fender will probably require the headlight bucket to be "modified" in order for it to fit closer, and it's possible the inner brace might have to be worked on as well to get it to fit better. It's crazy how poor these body parts can fit sometimes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts