Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a way to upgrade my standard 67 gauge cluster with a full size (4 &3/8”) tach in the right hole. And want a stock looking oil pressure gauge in the center (clock) hole.

the oil pressure gauge from a 68 seems like a great option.

has anyone done this? Pics or tips would be great .

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I am sure it’s been done before, but perhaps nobody saved pics.

here goes!

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
9 Posts
You can use the gauge cluster with a tach from a 67-58 Cougar. Sometimes you can pick them up relatively cheap. The font on the gauges is almost the same. You do have to modify the metal plate on the back of the cluster face but if I could figure it out, anybody can. The car is currently at the paint shop but I will try and get some pictures.

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can use the gauge cluster with a tach from a 67-58 Cougar. Sometimes you can pick them up relatively cheap. The font on the gauges is almost the same. You do have to modify the metal plate on the back of the cluster face but if I could figure it out, anybody can. The car is currently at the paint shop but I will try and get some pictures.
I have looked around for Cougar cluster, but didn't seem to find one available now when i am ready to do this.
Or if you want plug and play with all new stuff.
plug n play, is not really a priority for me. If I wanted to spend the cash, I would spring for the Dakota Digital gauges, but those are well over $1,000, and there are other things I would prefer to spend that level of cash on.

I have done my research on what options are out there to do this, but from what I have found.. they either don't look close enough to stock/original for my taste. Or, they want $600 for just a single Tach. Or I think the Vintage kit is ~$700 for the 5 guage set. they look ok.. buy I don't think they use the factory lenses, so you loose the "look" of a stock set.

What I am trying to do, is keep a "stock look" for a minimal cost.

So far:
$45 for the 68 oil pressure gauge..
$01 3d print some adaptor brackets (I am probably over-engineering this)
$140 for a 4.5" Tach that has a face thats very close to a stock 67, and has a removable front bezel and lense.

So for under $200 I think I can come up with a very good option..

possible issues:
*Loss of factory amp/volt gauge: plan to use a small USB/ w a volt readout installed in the console glove box
**will the aftermarket 'gauge backlight (inverter driven), be close enough to the stock blue (w led) as to not look horrible?
***If I don't like the way the new tach contrasts with the stock speedo, I could also pay up for the matching aftermarket speedo. for another $275, depending on which version..

Reactions: CJM68GT390

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just received the new 4.5” Tach in the mail and couldn’t resist doing a quick mock up to see how it fits.

please excuse the dirty cluster and lenses, but I actually think it looks pretty darn good.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have just about perfected the 3D print for the center gauge mount. I know that nobody will ever see this, but I like to make things as functionally “correct” as possible.
obviously, this would also work for anyone with a 68, who wanted to put a 67 fuel gauge in
the center spot.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My next task is to make some mounting tabs for the new tach. ANd then finalize my plans for the wiring.
wiring the oil gauge should be easy. I think the stock oil pressure leads should reach the new position, so that’s easy.

to wire the tach, I have four wires to solve for and aside from the signal wire to the (-) coil, I hope to keep it all wired into the cluster, to make it as “plug n play” as possible And avoid any changes to the under dash harness.
1) the 12v key switched power, I think I can tap into the Brake warning light, which I will not be using
2) Ground, I can spice into several places on the cluster
3) 12v dash lights: I think I will tap into one of the leads that used to light up the amp/oil gauges.
4) The tach signal wire will be the only extra connection I will have to make. (Hopefully).

Reactions: QuietChris

·
Registered
35 Posts
I watched a video on this last night on Autorestomod. They used a tach from tribute automotive products that fits right into the cluster. The site has them listed at 650 though.....The video shows exactly how to do it, and wire it all together.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I watched a video on this last night on Autorestomod. They used a tach from tribute automotive products that fits right into the cluster. The site has them listed at 650 though.....The video shows exactly how to do it, and wire it all together.
Yeah, that Tribute Auto Tach looks very nice. I was just not in the mood to drop that much cash on a Tach, without exploring other options. I do need to go review their install again to see how they wired it in.

***After reviewing how they wired in the Tribute tach.. just a couple comments on how that could relate to my project:

1) tying the 12v switched power in to the source side of the voltage regulator sounds like a better idea than what I had planned.
2) The ground next to the regulator should be fine too.
3) The tribute conversion tach as two 'idiot' lights for oil pressure and amps.. which I guess provides a more "original" conversion.. but I think a benefit of my project is adding the '68 analog oil pressure gauge to the center hole looks a ton better. Especially since I have no intention of adding a factory clock.

*some more critique of the Auto Restomod Video: (feel free to ignore) ;)
I know realize that I had completely bailed on this video last time I started watching it. I find their production style almost painful to watch. I think I actually fast fwd over 3m into this video to get to actual content that was useful.

And.. Their summary of the 68 version of the upgrade was extremely confusing. They didn't explain why they swapped the fuel sender wire out. And never even showed the install of the 67 fuel gauge. (that i have solved).. Then they show connecting the red/yellow AMP wires and say that is to "convert it to a volt GAUGE". what gauge? there is not Gauge in that conversion.. only a light..

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I solved the next phase of the project, which was how I would perma mount the 4.5” Tach into the cluster. I really wanted to mount it to the metal back frame, but didn’t see a very good way to do that. So I made a ring mount with the proper stand-off spacing to use the existing three lense mount screws. so far I am happy with how it worked out.

Reactions: QuietChris

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,475 Posts
Soo....how many "extra" tach rings did you make? :whistle:

Reactions: 67Modcoupe

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Soo....how many "extra" tach rings did you make? :whistle:
Just made the one so far, I have to book time on my son‘s 3D printer, so I may tweak the design a little and take another run at it. This one works fine, but I had to file down the lower tab and clearance a little for the alignment hole.

*For now, I plan to keep the stock Speedo, but I am seriously cons ordering the matching 4.5” matching speedo. This mounting ring should work fine to attach the speedo as well

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Finally put it together, and wired in so that the only connection beyond stock is the yellow signal wire to the coil (-)

I got a weird glare off the small gauges in the pic. but they look fine in person.

I didn’t mention already, but I added the super right LED bulbs to the stock sockets. And for some reason they are showing much more blue vs green. But they seem to be an ok match to the tach I got, so I’m pretty happy.

total project cost ?... well let’s just say it’s Wayyyy less than half what the cheapest aftermarket tach cluster I could have purchased. And that includes the cost of buying the 68 oil pressure gauge.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Looks great, and you'll love the Speedhut gauges. I have the GPS speedo, and mounted the antenna on the rear package shelf, which seems to work well for picking up a consistent signal.

I like your mounting rings you printed!! Here's how mine sit. I set them back so the bezel in the dash flows to the bezel on the gauge face.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks great! I really wanted to maintain the look of the stock lenses with the little center trim ‘nips’.
I was not totally sure how well they would fit when I placed my order for the tack. Now that I see how well it fits in behind the stock lenses, I may go back and order the matching speedo. I am leaning towards the electric pick up speedo. I have a convertible and don’t know where I would put the gps rx.
Looks great, and you'll love the Speedhut gauges. I have the GPS speedo, and mounted the antenna on the rear package shelf, which seems to work well for picking up a consistent signal.

I like your mounting rings you printed!! Here's how mine sit. I set them back so the bezel in the dash flows to the bezel on the gauge face.

Reactions: 67Modcoupe

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I don’t think I can upload a video clip. But I got the new cluster installed today, and its working great.

the new oil pressure gauge is working great to. I was happy that the original gauge leads were long enough to fit to the new location. And top center is a perfect spot for oil pressure anyway, so it’s a win-win for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts