Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled an old motor out of my Dad's garage that once came out of an old 67' GT Fastback Mustang I once Owned. How do I properly ID the heads, block , pistons, rods, and crank? Any date codes, parts #'s.

ANy good web sites? I may end up letting go but want to make sure it wasn't swapped some time before I owned the car either.

Thanks in advance...

Tony

67 GTA S code FB
68 1/2 CJ 4-speed FB
68 GT500KR shelby FB

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
The block should be a C6ME and heads C7AE A if its a 390 GT (it could also be a 428 PI with those #'s)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
tlea is right. Block should be C6ME or C6ME-A. The best way to check for a 390 would be to pull the heads and measure the bore. For 390, it should be 4.05" (or anything up to 4.11" if it's been bored out).

Before you pull the heads and measure the bore, though, check the cylinder-heads. All GT 390 heads will have four exhaust-manifold mounting holes per exhaust port, not two.

Also, if you have the intake manifold, it should have a large (almost 2"-tall) "S" cast on to the top of it.

HTH,

Rick

·
Registered
303 Posts
Side question about the exhaust manifolds. The ones I have only have two bolt holes per port while the heads have four. Are there special exhaust manifolds with the four bolt pattern???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts