Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys -

I'm about to finish my '67 GT, just in time for summer... can anyone tell me (or show me) exactly where the "GT" emblems go on the side stripe? I've searched, can't find a good diagram or pics that make sense... I have a crappy diagram, but the dimensions are so far off it has to be incorrect...

sorry for the awesome pic, from a cell phone.

thanks for the help
Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Sorry, my GTA is already in storage, but fyi the center stops tp allow for the emblem, then starts again.....somebody here has a template.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
You have a problem. The "GT" doesn't go in the stripe.

Are those painted, or applied?.....I had given my body guy the decal kit, but he still opted for paint

·
Registered
34,509 Posts
Are those painted, or applied?.....I had given my body guy the decal kit, but he still opted for paint
Factory, "show-correct" is a vinyl stripe. The GT stripes were never painted on. If he didn't leave the correct gap for the emblem, you now get to smack him up for some free repainting.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What problem? I can remove a section of the decal...

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Hey Guys -

I'm about to finish my '67 GT, just in time for summer... can anyone tell me (or show me) exactly where the "GT" emblems go on the side stripe? I've searched, can't find a good diagram or pics that make sense... I have a crappy diagram, but the dimensions are so far off it has to be incorrect...

sorry for the awesome pic, from a cell phone.

thanks for the help
Nick
I've said this a ton, if you're gonna resto or finish a stang, BUY the Ford shop manual from most any vendor. It has tons of good info as to how Ford did things. Even shows with numbers how the GT exhaust tips were space at valance.
That said the placement of the "GT" decal stripe is in the manual. There is a 1/2" space all around and between the GT. I did my doors first using 1/8" gap from bottom of door as spelled out in Ford manual and also still have one orig GT fender to check. With door done, continue across to fender at same height. I chose to do tape decal as orig done. Thought the paint over time would chip from stones kicked up.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Is this the template??

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/mmchat/mustang/GTPlacement1.jpg

If so the measurements are to the center of the pin holes. The hole locations are based on the pins from an original set of GT emblems.

I used a sheet of vinyl shelf paper to transfer the hole locations from my original fender to my new fender. It seemed easier than measuring all that stuff out. I still have the template and could re-do the measurements to make it easier if you would like.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SpareTime, personally I just don't trust that template. I have the ford shop manual, I'll check it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked out the ford shop manual, negative, no emblem location dimensions in there...

so once again, can anyone please provide me dimensions for the position of the break in the stripe, the width of the break, and the spacing between the "GT" letters?

thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
638 Posts
Spare,

I would gladly compensate you for a recreation of said template. I am leery of drilling my fenders until I know for certain that I don't screw up the measurements. Let me know how to compensate you and I will proceed.

Thanks----Chris

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Checked out the ford shop manual, negative, no emblem location dimensions in there...

so once again, can anyone please provide me dimensions for the position of the break in the stripe, the width of the break, and the spacing between the "GT" letters?

thanks,
Nick
As I said above, the space between stripe & letter is 1/2". The space between the "G" & "T" is also 1/2". Hence 1/2" space all around.

I'll look around when I get home, to see if info is in back of shop manual & or the dimesions came with the NOS stripe kit I used as it came with paperwork.

If you need dimesion from rear edge of fender to first gap, I can take one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sixtyseven, thanks again. I would love to have that dimension from the back of the fender to the start of the break. just being cautious like CHRISCADE before I break the drill out.

nice tripower by the way, looks familiar.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Tell ya what guys...

Hopefully sixtyseven can come up with something, I haven't looked in the manuals. But in the meantime, I have both my original fenders without emblems and plenty more shelf paper. I will go out tomorrow morning and make new templates directly off of my fenders and send them to you. (nbears and chriscade.) I will take a few pics to show how I placed the paper and measurements as well. I don't know how well they will match up if you already have stripes placed on the car, but I can guarantee that the pin holes will match what Ford put on my car 43 years ago. You should be able to adjust from there.

Let me know if you all are interested.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks for the assist, I am getting ready for paint and obviously the stripes will go on after. I just want to ensure the holes are ready prior to painting.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
nbears 747 and all, I looked thru lots of pics (1/2 hr) and found the drawing I had made up with dimentions. Then took a look on pile of pares on my work bench and crazy but found one of the orig FORD decal drawing instrution sheets. On the instruction sheet, it validated what I thought as far door decal reference, 1/8" from bottom of door. Carry that line across to fender & rear 1/4. The sheet I found is a "2/3" shows more about pealing backing off decal. I can look more in couple days if need be to see if I can find other sheets. But my hand drawn sheet does have #'s. I either got them from my orig GT fender, another Ford sheet, or a Tony Branda catalog which used to have all kinds of stripe info.

Basically RH side: from door/fender edge to widest part of "G" is 4 3/4", (go back 1/2" to get middle stripe tape edge). Then from top thin stripe at wheel opening, measure to top of "T" is 8 3/4". Remember the top and bottom "tin" stripe go all the way across. You only delete the center "wide" stripe. Repeat backwards for LH side. Measure it all out and it should end up with 1/2" around the GT.
If anyone wants a copy of what I drew, email me and I can scan it in at work tomorrow. even the FORD doc if you like. Someone can post it you choose. Forgot how & to busy 'cause I gotta work now thru Sunday. My email is under my sig in this post. Hope this helps. Oh ya I didn't find in shop manual like I thought, it just shows the rocker moulding location. sorry.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Pics and measurments, as promised.

I find it interesting that the measurements vary from one side to the other. Here are photos of the process I used the get the measurements. I am also willing to send out copies of the vinyl templates if you want them. Just pick up postage and they are yours.

I would also caution that while these are exact for my original fenders, variations in fender manufacture/reproduction may affect the location. By the way, the red fender is passenger side, the white one is for driver side.

Thanks sixtyseven for the stripe cut out info!

I used this to lay out the pattern. It is not too sticky and cleans up easy. I really don't like the pattern in it, but couldn't find any in plain white.

Put it on, cut it out.

Start measuring.

Begin laying out the height locations

Marked up 1, 2, 3 and 4

Here are the measurements from the LEFT edge of the PASSENGER fender. Remember, the edge you are measuring from is curved, so it is important to set the height at the fender edge as well as the center of the pin.

Here they are removed from the fender with the height marked.

Close up of the measurements for the PASSENGER side.

Start over again on the DRIVER side.

These are the measurements from the RIGHT edge of the DRIVER fender. Yes I got the vinyl on a little crooked. Sorry!

Perspective does funny things. The correct measurement is 7 5/8.

Here are the remaining measurements for the DRIVER side fender.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thank you SpareTime and sixtyseven!

SpareTime, I just PM'd you.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Emblems done.

I'm sorry that it took me so long to give this update:

Thanks to SpareTime for the templates which were a HUGE help, and alot of careful movements around my new paint:
marked out the holes and the width of the "opening" in the stripe
very gently scored the stripe with a new razor blade, then gently heated it with a hairdryer and peeled away the stripe
very carefully drilled the holed in steps, test fit the emblems along the way.
applied some left over body paint to the inside of the holes
inserted barrel nuts, gently pushed on new emblems (DC repops)

1/2" all around. I think it turned out pretty sweet. THANK YOU ALL! When's the cruise?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Looks at least as good as or better than factory. Well done indeed!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts