Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my old 67 had what looked like a faux grilling on the back transom. also had a lift 'T' type shifter for reverse gearing. does anyone know if these were factory items or later, owner changes? am starting to look for gt just like or very similar to one i had. thanks

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
The back panel was optional only for 67 and the T handle was part of the standard manual tranny shifter

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that was a fast response! thank you! now, does one see much of of such a car I'm looking for? i have been on the net but only saw about three.

i ordered some books on old, or rather, 'classic' mustangs, so i hope i don't appear as if i'll be getting all the answers over forum.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, I know of one in Del. but it has a title problem it is a 67 G/T fastback was 289 4 speed engine is apart but there needs to be redone he wants $1,000 John

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the lead 'i1967mustang'. however, in my excitement over figuring out working this forum, i didn't get around to describing my truly long lost love (mustang). it was a indeed a 1967 fastback GT. it had a 390 cu. in. engine, 4 speed, black interior, folding back seat, wood grain steerer; i know now that the engine is cat. 'S', the color was Code 8-Springtime Yellow (also known as Canary Yellow, i think), had std T gear shifter but an optional faux grille on back panel and pop open gas cap. Found one in Kansas earlier today that appeared to be quite similar and called on it but was sold the other day; rats!

Now, the questions are:

1. if i find another one, but different color, would repainting it to color of car i had, would it be a no-no in world of classics restoration?
2. would it be difficult to find parts if needed to restore the car to be same or as close to my beloved one was since my origianl appears to have been all stock including wheel caps anyway.
3. if you were me, how would you convice your wife that you need this car, besides saying 'if i get one that needs serious restoration/refurbishing, it'll be cheaper'?

if i can find another car that is same or pretty close (engine and trans have to be same tho) to what's described above, i feel confident that i can restore it, especially with help of y'all out there.

thanks again

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Changing colour on a car would depend on your intended usage. If you want to go into concours competitiions then changing the colour would basically take it out of the money. If you want to have a car like the one you used to have and just have fun then go for it.

Finding a 67 390 GT Fastback should not be that hard. What would be hard is finding a good one for the money. Too much crap for big dollars anymore.

Good luck

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks again, pprince! i'm encouraged andi hope to hear from you again soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts