Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im looking for some help/clarification regarding date corectness. I have a 67 Raven Black Fastback GT S Code. Marti Report has the build date as 7-11-67 at Mtuchen. From the information I have read and heard, date correct engine and components would be aprox 2-4 weeks prior to the production date. Therefore I would assume this particular vechicle should have May-June 67 dated block and other engine components. But this is not the case and its where my confussion begings and seek help for any other members that are more knoledgeable than myself regarding this topic. The block is dated FEB 67. I restored the insturment cluster and date stamped on the back of the odometer is also FEB 67, as are the tags on the wire harness. My only guess would be since this is a rather late 67 build, did ford just start throwing in whatever parts they had remaining to comlete the final production cars of 67? I also found teh brodcast sheet and it has a build date of july 67 as well. The original heads, carburateor, distributor, etc ( other dated clue componets) are long gone. Id like to find all these componets, but I dont know what date would the be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
This is where I go to decode date codes and casting numbers:

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Well part of the issue was the plants shut down due to a labor strike in September & October of 67. It messed up the parts supply chain, and so cars during this time can have some variation on date codes. Cars got ordered, but not all were assembled on time. I had to find a date code correct block for a 68 Gt built in Dec. 67. Putting on parts dated prior to build date up to a few months can be acceptable for early 68 cars. I have some old threads where I was researching this info on a ”Bullitt” car.

·
Registered
10,206 Posts
No part of the issue. His car was built no where near any strike date.
Turns out by the spring of 1967, everybdy realized Ford's 390 needed help and big block sales slowed way down. So, the usual 3-4weeks delay between the engine plant and the assembly line slipped a little longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts