Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im looking for some help/clarification regarding date corectness. I have a 67 Raven Black Fastback GT S Code. Marti Report has the build date as 7-11-67 at Mtuchen. From the information I have read and heard, date correct engine and components would be aprox 2-4 weeks prior to the production date. Therefore I would assume this particular vechicle should have May-June 67 dated block and other engine components. But this is not the case and its where my confussion begings and seek help for any other members that are more knoledgeable than myself regarding this topic. The block is dated FEB 67. I restored the insturment cluster and date stamped on the back of the odometer is also FEB 67, as are the tags on the wire harness. My only guess would be since this is a rather late 67 build, did ford just start throwing in whatever parts they had remaining to comlete the final production cars of 67? I also found teh brodcast sheet and it has a build date of july 67 as well. The original heads, carburateor, distributor, etc ( other dated clue componets) are long gone. Id like to find all these componets, but I dont know what date would the be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Look at stamping dates on orig sheet metal. IIRC even the heater box has a white or yellow date stamping. You may have to look at several diff areas to solve your puzzle.

·
Registered
412 Posts
"Its only original once"... Finding the nicest parts you can get with the correct castings #'s (not date code) would be something to seriously consider for practicality since you presently have a February cast engine block. Parts with the correct castings #'s (not date code) are considered MCA concours correct for driven and trailered classes last time I checked.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The original heads, carb and distributor, for that engine, would all be dated before 22 March 67.
My 8/18/67 late build, Dearborn S code, has an engine assembly date, 4 weeks before built date.
As sixtyseven said "Look at stamping dates on orig sheet metal". If they are appropriate for the build date, I'd be happy.
I've settled for an incorrect date carb. Still haven't found even an incorrect date, correct distributor.
Good Luck

·
Registered
999 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
. The block is dated FEB 67
That may be true BUT what is the eng assm date ? On a 289 the date is stamped on a tab at the front drivers side of the block,cant tell you where it is on a 390 but that would be more important than the casting date for this question.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
In post #4, he says assembly date is 7c22n. The "n" is probably the assemblers initial.
I think it's too early to be the original engine to that car. Guess it's possible it was a warranty replacement when newish. With the exception of date castings, all the casting numbers would be accurate.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
That may be true BUT what is the eng assm date ? On a 289 the date is stamped on a tab at the front drivers side of the block,cant tell you where it is on a 390 but that would be more important than the casting date for this question.
IIRC on my 67 390 casting date marks are drivers side between fuel pump and oil filter housing, in that area

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
On my 69 F350 C&C, the 360 is all 'date adjacent' except one head which is a month earlier. That head had been welded up where the mold fill was incomplete in a non critical area just under the valve cover. So, the head was initially a reject, reworked and then put into a fleet motor because they were the red headed step children anyway. Just painting a picture of how a motor, or motor parts can hang out for longer than usual before being put into a vehicle. Ford also did not really have a FIFO (first in first out) system back then so it is conceivable that an engine lingered in the back until stores got low. It is also conceivable that someone restored this ride previously with an earlier built car. A lot can happen in 53 years. What you really need to do here is find all the date codes you can; sheet metal, seats, transmission, radio, heater box, and let that paint the picture in aggregate.

·
Registered
412 Posts
In post #4, he says assembly date is 7c22n. The "n" is probably the assemblers initial.
I think it's too early to be the original engine to that car. Guess it's possible it was a warranty replacement when newish. With the exception of date castings, all the casting numbers would be accurate.
My understanding is the "N" is the assembly station identification.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello all. After some free time to further this investigation, Things just got stranger. stamps on body are early/mid june 67. Original tags were on backing of apolstrey going back to march 67. All dates on engine components still are falling in feb 67.But what reall threw me off was this. Found this sticker on the steering column. It appears to be a UPS shipping label from Ford to the selling dealer (verifiable on the marti report) created on July 2nd 1967. According to the Marti Report the finalized build did not occur unitl July 11 th 1967. So why would ford be sending repalcement parts? to a dealer who had a ghost car, meaning the car was still 9 days away from being born so to speak. Something starge with this one. Any theories? has anyone else seen anything like this? Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello all. After some free time to further this investigation, Things just got stranger. stamps on body are early/mid june 67. Original tags were on backing of apolstrey going back to march 67. All dates on engine components still are falling in feb 67.But what reall threw me off was this. Found this sticker on the steering column. It appears to be a UPS shipping label from Ford to the selling dealer (verifiable on the marti report) created on July 2nd 1967. According to the Marti Report the finalized build did not occur unitl July 11 th 1967. So why would ford be sending repalcement parts? to a dealer who had a ghost car, meaning the car was still 9 days away from being born so to speak. Something starge with this one. Any theories? has anyone else seen anything like this? Thanks for all the feedback.
View attachment 748895 View attachment 748896 View attachment 748897
While the date on the label does appear to say 7/02, no year is given. These Ford shipping labels usually have the year that the label was designed in the lower left corner of the label (lower right in your pictures near the torn away part). It appears that there is perhaps an "AN 75" there, which I presume would have been JAN 75, or January 1975. If this is the case, this label is probably just as would be expected.. a service part from later in the vehicle's life, not from 1967.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts