Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I just received a67 GTA from my Father-in-law. I am going to restore it. The car was in an accident and the rear end was a Posi-traction. When it was fixed (by the original owner) they removed the rear end and put in a standard rear end. I have heard the Posi-tractions are hard to find. Anyone know where I can find one? Iam going to try to restore it to as close to factory as I can.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Welcome to the VMF. In the Ford world locking rear ends are usually referred to as Traction Lock (Positraction being a GM reference). It should not be hard to find what you are after. First, though, you need to identify if you have an 8" or 9" ring gear and what ratio you need. I believe a '67 GTA should have an 8" if it is a 289 motor and a 9" if it is a 390. If the entire rear axle has been swapped (not clear from your post), you may not have the original size in there anyway, so start by confirming what you have and what you need. The original ratio will be decipherable from the data plate on the driver's door.

Odds are you will be looking for something like a 3.00 traction lock 3rd member with an 8" ring gear. There are some vendors on ebay who offer these, or you may be able to find a local source. Let us know where you are at and I'm sure you will get some good advice where to look.

Good luck
MrFreeze

·
Registered
35,888 Posts
The original 67 limited-slip rear was an Equalock™. Almost impossible to find in a junkyard, and you don't want one anyway. The Traction-Lok™, introduced in 1968, was by far superior, and is available new.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
The Equalock used a Belleville spring affair to effect the locking action, and at the end of the 1967 model year Ford switched to the Traction-Lok, which was essentially similar to the GM style Positrac, although I guess Ford obviously did not want to use the same name.

That being said, my car came with the Equalock, and it worked reliably and well for many years - at least up until the late 70's or early 80's until the clutch packs finally wore out. I've had it rebuilt and it still performs well. No issues against it based on my use, but I never hopped up the car with extra horsepower or really drove the tar out of it either, if that counts for anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts