Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuel line is all rubber by the headers and driver's side fender so before the motor goes back in I thought I'd replace it.

I don't think I can use one that goes along the rocker panels because the sub frame connectors are in the way.

Does anyone have a photo of what the in-tunnel fuel line looks like near the engine bay?

Thanks Rodney

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
My 68 runs it outside the frame until it gets in front of the suspension then goes into the engine bay.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I think it depends on the engine. On my '67 with the I6 it doesn't go outside the engine compartment, it just goes from where your pictures show straight up to the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
"Would a 68 fuel line fit a 67? I like the idea of running a 3/8 line outside of the tunnel."

Yes it would fit.The early 67's Had one piece lines from the fuel pump to the tank, but the later production runs had two piece lines, which I find are easier to deal with and install (I have the FE engine in my GT). I used the 3/8" line, but in stainless, which installed nicely-and doesn't run down the tunnel. From what I have found, the same line is good for both the 67 and 68.

MUF1007 OE Mustang Fuel Line Pump To Tank V8 Late 3/8" Runs Down Rocker Om 1967-1968 | CJ Pony Parts

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have recently been looking at the same project on my early 67. I liked the idea of putting it outside like that, but when I looked, my torque box has no hole. I don't remember if it was replaced when they replaced the floor, so that may have been the reason. I believe I ordered the tunnel version, but it's been on back order from CJ for several weeks now.

Here is a picture of what mine looked like before I started. I originally had an I6, and a previous owner put a 289 in, so I doubt the rubber hose part is original. They didnt replace things, just mostly cut things up, so I am assuming the hard line part is original. I am surprised to see it run over the top of the steering box.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

I think I'm going to stick with the 5/16 through the tunnel after all. It says it works with a V8 and if I'm not planning on running a massive engine.

With my sub frame connectors installed, I can't see how the run a fuel line out to the rocker without going underneath the connector.

NPD says they have this in-tunnel fuel line in stock.

I'll post some photos assuming I can fit it in properly.

Rodney

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Thanks

I think I'm going to stick with the 5/16 through the tunnel after all. It says it works with a V8 and if I'm not planning on running a massive engine.

With my sub frame connectors installed, I can't see how the run a fuel line out to the rocker without going underneath the connector.

NPD says they have this in-tunnel fuel line in stock.

I'll post some photos assuming I can fit it in properly.

Rodney
Drill a 1/2" hole through the sides of the front floor support, in front of your SFC's then run the fuel line from the rocker, through the hole and into the engine compartment. You could split some rubber tubing to slip over the fuel line where it goes through the hole to protect it.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
My May 10th 1967 built GT, has the fuel line out thru apron near pump, runs along wheel well thru torque box ( a later 67 thing) then along outer edge. Don't see that being an issue for you. See attached pic what fuel line looks like after coming out of torque box.

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
My tunnel v8 tube arrived tonight and it was a pretty easy install with a jacked up shell. It seems what I had before was specific to the I6 with staying inside the engine compartment around the steering box. Glad not to repeat that. Like the 68, the new one follows the outside frame rail. I have the original drum brake bracket, so its a little more crowded under the control arms.

This one drops around the frame rail and into the tunnel, cleanly away from the steering this time.

The place where it goes up into the tunnel looks kind of close to your frame rail connector hardware. It may need to be tuned a bit, but it looks like it will fit. I also noticed that yours currently goes through the "T" off the frame rail. Interesting. Can't do that now with these bends and a single tube.

Hopefully this helps the next person to come along too. I am finding my early 67 to be a strange beast.

I put a few more pictures on the blog too. There was definitely more time spent figuring this out than there was installing it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great pix. Thanks. Super clean bottom of the car. What is is painted with?

My in-tunnel fuel line is supposed to arrive tomorrow so hopefully it will fit just like yours.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
My tunnel v8 tube arrived tonight and it was a pretty easy install with a jacked up shell.
So just to be clear - you are using the 65/66 V8 fuel line in a 67/68 V8 application to avoid interference with SFCs?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts