Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have fixed all my electrical issues and am installing a new JME instrument cluster on my 67. I cannot recall if the metal tab on the bottom of the two main gauges (Speed and Tach) goes on the inside of the metal frame, i.e. nearer the electrical wires / inside of the dash, or the metal tab stays on the outside and could partially be seen around the bolt. I have attached a picture. I think inside might make more sense, and likely would need to bend it a bit for clearance. Attached is pic - Thanks for any help. I took some photos when I took apart, just not this angle.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone with a '67. Just wondering if the metal tab on the bottom of the cluster where the plastic is cut out for the screw to go in, is on the inside or stays on the outside. Would hate to mess that up. Thanks

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm pretty sure the chrome bezel goes over the entire metal gauge housing. It think it the edge of the chrome should butt up tight to the metal sem-circle area...

Mine is all out of the car at the moment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are correct, but would love someone with a 67 or 68 totake a quick look and see if that metal tab is behind or in front of the metal dash mounting area? Anyone???

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I'll look on my 68 when I get home tonight... can't remember off hand.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone with a 67 or 68 - Please?

C'mon guys anybody with a 67 or 68 if you could just look at the bottom of your dash and let me know if the metal tab is on the outside, i.e. the screw goes through it into the "u bolt" around the frame, or is it on the backside and you screw directly into the frame/u bolt and then into the tab on the cluster. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Mine is on the outside. That being said there has been some work done back there as far as I can tell (black tape over stuff... gonna need to get to that at some point), so I can't promise that it was put back the original way. I would say put it in whichever way you think looks better... unless you're going to be going original (whic it doesn't seem you are).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think outside might be correct as it looks like the tab is just a pass through to the u bolt that is screwed into. JME guys thought the same thinkg. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
The tab goes on the outside. You should be able to see it and the screws thru the slots of the cluster when mounted correctly.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts