Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked on some other threads and just want to confirm- In the photo you can see my kickdown wire from bellcrank attached to the lever on the tranny-
The lever should be at the 1 oclock position, correct? I have excessive slack with the way it looks now. I am also suspicious of the bellcrank asembly as well. Is it supposed to be that close to the exhaust pipe?
Thanks, Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
Looks bent. The cable should pull straight forward. When the gas pedal is on the floor, the carb should be fully opened, and the kickdown should be fully pulled.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
????

Can't see enough to tell, but that LOOKS like a C-4. If it's like MY C-4 in my 66, your neutral safety switch is upside down and the kickdown lever should be 180 deg from yours, sticking up.

Mine has about the same amount of slack and is pretty close to the exhaust like yours.

You can tell if the lever is bolted on wrong by activating it with your hand, in the direction as if you stomped the accelerator.

If you can feel the last 1/4" or so of travel pushing against a pretty strong spring in the valve body, you have it right for your car.

If it's right, it can be adjusted as follows: THE GAS PEDAL MUST HIT THE FLOOR AND THE LEVER ON THE TRANSMISSION REACH FULL TRAVEL AGAINST THE STRONG SPRING "AT THE SAME TIME." Adjust the front cable nut/pin to that point and reinstall.

This isn't a closeup but maybe you can see.

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
Can't see enough to tell, but that LOOKS like a C-4. If it's like MY C-4 in my 66, your neutral safety switch is upside down and the kickdown lever should be 180 deg from yours, sticking up.

Mine has about the same amount of slack and is pretty close to the exhaust like yours.

You can tell if the lever is bolted on wrong by activating it with your hand, in the direction as if you stomped the accelerator.

If you can feel the last 1/4" or so of travel pushing against a pretty strong spring in the valve body, you have it right for your car.

If it's right, it can be adjusted as follows: THE GAS PEDAL MUST HIT THE FLOOR AND THE LEVER ON THE TRANSMISSION REACH FULL TRAVEL AGAINST THE STRONG SPRING "AT THE SAME TIME." Adjust the front cable nut/pin to that point and reinstall.
I agree with all of the above.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Flip over the NSS and then change the lever to the 1 oclock position.
Now, is there supposed to be a bracket and return spring down at the kickdown lever as well? Yes, it is a C4- column shift converted to floor shift.
I noticed the bottom screw on the bellcrank assy is missing and one of the others is not tightening. I'll get that corrected and see what it does to the angle of the kickdown arm.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Now, is there supposed to be a bracket and return spring down at the kickdown lever as well? I noticed the bottom screw on the bellcrank assy is missing and one of the others is not tightening.
Mine doesn't have the bracket and return spring that you refer to.
Charles Turner's had it.

I have wondered if mine should but there is no wear in the hole on the end of the lever where the spring would go? It works fine like it is just using the spring inside the valve body???

WHAT BELLCRANK? I don't see anything missing in your pictures. Are you talking about the accelerator rod that goes from the pedal up to the carb?

·
Registered
35,876 Posts
The bracket and spring come with the Drake kickdown kit. The spring is also available separately. The spring is a straight pull, even years of service would probably not leave a mark on the hole, even if it were originally installed.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
66 Cars

On later cars, small insignificant changes were made and parts omitted that were present on earlier cars.

I.E. You can pull my brake pedal up toward the steering wheel. They decided the rubber stop was not needed, by the time my car was built.

The C-4 in Charles' picture was a '65. My thinking is the return spring and bracket was deleted before my car's turn.

On the spring wearing the lever hole...a correctly installed spring WOULD definitely leave physical evidence after years of being there. Even a 1 pound spring would wear a small amount into the metal of the hole, since the edge of the hole is a straight line and the spring hook is a radius. It would be pressing on the corners of the hole. Forensics is our friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts