Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m tearing out the rear suspension and for the life of me I can’t get the front eye bolts out of either side. Nuts came of fairly easy. I could cut the bolts with a recip saw but that will be a PITA. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I’m tearing out the rear suspension and for the life of me I can’t get the front eye bolts out of either side. Nuts came of fairly easy. I could cut the bolts with a recip saw but that will be a PITA. Any other suggestions?
I had the same issue on my 66. The bolts were fused to the springs so cutting out was the only option.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
I’ve cut hundreds. Invest in a carbide grit sawzall blade.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,207 Posts
When I removed them from my 69 Coupe & used a cut off wheel on my angle grinder & it made quick work of them.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I just did this a few weeks ago, used a thin cutoff/grinding wheel on my 7 inch grinder. It took about a minute a side. Make sure all you cut is the bolt! I had my car on a lift, if you are doing this on your back it'll take a little longer, I've done it that way as well. Its a PITA job!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Funny, the ones on my 66 came right out.
Do you think yours had ever been replaced? Maybe you got lucky and someone did the hard work for you prior to your ownership?

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
442 Posts
Funny, the ones on my 66 came right out.
So did mine and they are the original springs. Everything on the car has been that way. Im blessed I know. But funny thing, I had a 65 convertible back in 91( car was 26yo) that lived its life in Northern California and I had to cut that spring out. Weird how that happens sometimes.

I did apply liberal amounts of anti-seize for the future owners though when I reassembled them.

Chris

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Ive always been able to get them out. Luck of the draw I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts