Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was going through my pile of parts, cleaning things up, I thought I identified my 67 motor mounts correctly. Evidently I did not. My car originally had an I6, but had a 289 when I bought it. As I rebuild it, I thought they would have gotten a more common motor mount bracket since 67 was a one off and more rare. Evidently I got it backwards when I was trying to figure out what I have. I found out when I tried to put my 302 in today and things wouldn't line up with the new mounts. Digging through my recycle pile, I found the original mounts. One looks like the new one, but the other looks bigger and maybe taller.

For future reference, this is what I believe is a stock 67 mounting bracket. I believe this because the bolt holes are not parallel with the edge. Looking at anything new today has the bolts evenly spaced from the edge, like all (most?) other years.

Looking at the image on CJ's for the Scott Drake version, it looks like what I would expect for a non 67.

Before I buy more parts, can anyone confirm my conclusion? Additionally, opinions on getting the $100 brackets, or spending $250 and getting adjustable mounts? Not a huge fan of more engine vibration in the car but the slight drop sounds appealing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
To save yourself some grief I would recommend that you buy a 68 mounting bracket and then some 68 mounts. There are several 67 motor mounts and finding the exact one is many times a pain. With a 68 however there is only one mount.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that is what the picture is from CJ. Though it says 66-70, I am certain it's not the 67 specific one. I just worry that I have it wrong and I already have the 68 and I spend $100 on something that doesn't solve the problem.

I also can't seem to get the originals to fit on this 302, so I may just have to do the safest bet and get the adjustables. With all of these modifications, including a T-5, having the extra adjustment may save me problems in the long run.

I love the look of the 67, but man, that was an LSD laced year in Ford engineering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts