Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my engine is being re-furbished, I thought I'd try and get some new motor mounts. I've seen a few posts that say they are hard to fit on a '67.

Here are photos of what was in the car. The first part bolts to the frame and the second part has the rubber pad that bolts to the engine. Which part is hard to come by?

Any suggestions on a replacement for the rubber part would be greatly appreciated. You can see that the rubber is cracked.

Rodney

·
Registered
35,295 Posts
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/973929-67-engine-mounts.html#post8079377

This thread may give you some info that will be helpful. I think it matters if you have a convertible or not for the 67. I also thought about new insulators until I discovered this issue. My car is a convertible and it had the rarer version. I bet yours are reusable.
No. All 67 289s had the same insulator. The 67 insulator was used on 68-72 convertibles, and the 70 BOSS 302.

As for the correct 67 style insulator, how many do you want?

·
Registered
35,295 Posts
Was there any difference in motor mounts for the 289HP motor/manifolds? I recall seeing that my catalogs have "289-non-HP" designators on then mounts. Or are they the same as well?
After 11/1/65, the 289HP used the same mounts as any other 289. Later, the BOSS 302 and BOSS 351 used them, too.

·
Registered
826 Posts
There were indeed two insulators for the 289 A and C codes in 1967. The convertible is about 1/4" taller or shorter. I'm away from my computer for a while and don't recall. I do have some of each, took detailed pictures and measurements and posted the data on another website. Will try to find and post here. This is supported by the January 1967 version of the MPC. The 1975 version is significantly streamlined in this particular (and many similar) areas.

I did not look at the differences of any for the K code.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I should have added that my engine is a 1972 302 that obviously was not original. Don't know if that makes a difference on what insulators I need or if they are readily available.

P

·
0 Posts
'67 is not difficult in getting the right engine mounts. That's because there is only one frame mount used . . makes it easy. Just have to find the right one. OR . sell your frame mounts to BB guys and get '68 SB frame mounts, make money in the deal.

·
Registered
35,295 Posts
There were indeed two insulators for the 289 A and C codes in 1967. The convertible is about 1/4" taller or shorter. I'm away from my computer for a while and don't recall. I do have some of each, took detailed pictures and measurements and posted the data on another website. Will try to find and post here. This is supported by the January 1967 version of the MPC. The 1975 version is significantly streamlined in this particular (and many similar) areas.

I did not look at the differences of any for the K code.
They were not taller or shorter, the rubber portion, when the mount is installed, sat at a different angle.

The unbelievably strong and unique 289HP mount was discontinued 11/1/65, and the HP used the standard mount. The earlier HP mount was massive, far stronger than the mounts we had on the 1500 shp GE-T58-10 engines back in the day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts