Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, hope everyone is safe. After the engine warms up the blue smoke is gone!
I try to drive it once a week. Do you think that I need new piston rings? Remember the blue smoke is only at starting.

thank you

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
My bet is on valve stem seals. Oil leaks slowly into the cylinders when it's not running, the oil collects in the cylinders. Once up and running it burns it off quickly.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
As Dave said, valve stem seals. Probably the old umbrella seals that break apart and end up in the oil pan.

Smoke on start up = valve seals
Smoke all the time = rings

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
481 Posts
Valve seals can be changed without pulling the heads. But you need a different type of valve spring compressor and the fitting that goes in the head. Also you need a air compressor.

·
Super Moderator
10,047 Posts
If it’s the stock, 50 year old motor, just rebuild the entire short block when the time comes. For now just drive it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Valve seals can be changed without pulling the heads. But you need a different type of valve spring compressor and the fitting that goes in the head. Also you need a air compressor.
You can do it without an air compressor, pull the spark plug, shove rope in thru the plug hole, rotate crankshaft by hand to push rope in cylinder up against valves and change the seals. Old trick I remember reading about.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts