Vintage Mustang Forums banner

67 Mustang Brake Conversion (Manuel - Power)

317 Views 13 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  jeffr15937
Working on an install of Wilwood Disc Brakes, Master-cylinder, and Power Booster. Got the fire wall sized for the booster, but not 100% sure if I need to reposition the pivot point on the brake pedal? Summit couldn't confirm and Wilwood didn't know either because I basically re-engineering from factory setup. Question, for a 1967 Mustang coupe that was manual, will the existing pedal and pivot location work? I did eyeball the alignment and it seems to be in-line. Worried about the travel ratio...Any help out there would be appreciated. pics for reference.
Wheel Musical instrument Skateboard Motor vehicle Bumper
Safety glove Personal protective equipment Metal Fashion accessory Carmine
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,426 Posts
I don't have an answer for your question, but my suggestion is to not convert to power brakes. Go ahead with the disc conversion and leave the booster in the box it came in. It sounds like you modified the firewall though. What does sized the firewall mean?

· Registered
67 Mustang Coupe
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have an answer for your question, but my suggestion is to not convert to power brakes. Go ahead with the disc conversion and leave the booster in the box it came in. It sounds like you modified the firewall though. What does sized the firewall mean?
In order to add the booster you have to drill out a few holes to install. I already modified, so its going to happen.

· Registered
Like a Junk Yard Dog
5,146 Posts
Which booster?
Factory style mounting, or will fit if booster?
Pedal is important. as the wrong angle on push rod will destroy a new booster.
Did the supplier provide the information as to a stock type install, or a "Will fit if" install. YOU make it work/

· Registered
1,557 Posts
Boosted brakes use a different pedal ratio, and the correct pedal pivots from a different location, (the 3/8 hole in the top corner of the pedal support).
The 68 power pedal is reproduced, and will work on a 67.
I'm struggling to understand how Willwood can't answer your questions.

· Registered
8,193 Posts
I have a brand new Power pedal, Disk Brake Pad, and the mounting hardware. It is longer than the manual pedal for mounting in the upper location. PM me if you need it.

· Registered
67 Mustang Coupe
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boosted brakes use a different pedal ratio, and the correct pedal pivots from a different location, (the 3/8 hole in the top corner of the pedal support).
The 68 power pedal is reproduced, and will work on a 67.
I'm struggling to understand how Willwood can't answer your questions.
I was surprised as well that Wilwood didn't have an answer. Maybe a newer employee or something. I am going to replace the pedal, seems that is required for correct ratio.

· Registered
67 Mustang Coupe
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which booster?
Factory style mounting, or will fit if booster?
Pedal is important. as the wrong angle on push rod will destroy a new booster.
Did the supplier provide the information as to a stock type install, or a "Will fit if" install. YOU make it work/
Summit sold me the booter and said they didn't have any repro of a 67 pedal listed, only for a 68/69, he said he was a Chevy guy and didn't know the Mustang's as well.

· Registered
67 Mustang Coupe
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts