Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Mustang power front disc rear drum. I have a proportioning valve installed in the rear brake line back in the line before it reaches the rear axle and splits to each wheel. Everyone is telling me they only put these valves up front near the distribution block and they only used the cylinder type valves, but the pictures show where mine is and what it looks like.

1) Did they use proportioning valves for disc/drum applications or do you think my rear axle is not factory?
2) Since the cylinder style valves are more readily available, could I just swap one of those in for the one I have assuming the fitting sizes are the same?

I can't be the only mustang owner with this valve so hoping for some guidance.

Thanks, Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Here is what mine looks like at the rear axel. I believe the may have started putting the proportioning valve up front near the distribution block in 1968?

·
Registered
961 Posts
The location you described is correct. The valve you show is a Ford replacement identical to the one I purchased from the Ford dealer in 1981. There are rebuilding services or kits if you want to try it yourself. It’s not difficult. Original tubular styles (like in Knappers picture) can be found as well.

·
Registered
961 Posts
The location you described is correct. The valve you show is a Ford replacement (note the 1969 part number) identical to the one I purchased from the Ford dealer in 1981. There are rebuilding services or kits if you want to try it yourself. It’s not difficult. Original tubular styles (like in Knappers picture) can be found as well.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
As has been stated, That is a replacement Ford valve. Same function as the C7OA tube type. Muscle car research has the rebuild for this. You will need to buy the 70-73 Mustang DISC BRAKE proportioning valve kit.
Who ever stated they were not above rearend does not know his Mustangs.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
In very late ]67 production run mustang did have the proportioning valve mounted up front and continued that into '68.
My 67 factory disc brake car was a May 10th 67 build and believe my valve was in rear (as I bought my car ALL apart). However I saw listed on NPD's site, they listed OEM style replacements, one being "Very Late 67) that is prop valve mounted up front. So that's what I did.
A sample of diff set ups they offer.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Knapper, I would be getting that brake line off of the exhaust pipe pronto!

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Thanks...it is. I was just holding it out of the way to take pics of items I need to address.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you've got me thinking ... rather than rebuild my rear mounted prop valve I am thinking of replacing my brake line to the rear with one that goes in a late model and eliminating my rear prop valve and at the same time replacing my distribution block up front with the block/prop valve combo used in late models (pictured). I've already got my booster and master cylinder out anyway since I am having the booster rebuilt by WCCC.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
That's what sixtysevenGTconv was suggesting. Swap the 2 wire switch for the 67 1 wire switch. It's also what I plan to do.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
So you've got me thinking ... rather than rebuild my rear mounted prop valve I am thinking of replacing my brake line to the rear with one that goes in a late model and eliminating my rear prop valve and at the same time replacing my distribution block up front with the block/prop valve combo used in late models (pictured). I've already got my booster and master cylinder out anyway since I am having the booster rebuilt by WCCC.
67-69 disc brakes all had the same proportioning valve, which is available new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In case anyone is wondering, the cylinder style prop valve fits just fine where the block style was in the rear. Saved me from having to change out the brake line and replace the distr block up front. Swung by NPD this morning and had it installed in minutes. Even took the time to wrap the brake hose with heat wrap like I should have done originally. Thanks again for everyone's contributions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In case anyone is wondering, the cylinder style prop valve fits just fine where the block style was in the rear. Saved me from having to change out the brake line and replace the distr block up front. Swung by NPD this morning and had it installed in minutes. Even took the time to wrap the brake hose with heat wrap like I should have done originally. Thanks again for everyone's contributions.

View attachment 736513
My 67 has the block type valve just like you had. I am going to buy the cylinder type and replace it like you did. Just wondering isn’t the hex side of the cylindrical valve the ‘IN’ side and yours is backwards?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 67 has the block type valve just like you had. I am going to buy the cylinder type and replace it like you did. Just wondering isn’t the hex side of the cylindrical valve the ‘IN’ side and yours is backwards?
Oops I just noticed on the NPD site that they are stamped backwards.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
IIRC, the flare nut is different size on each end, and cannot be installed backward. Shame if it's stamped incorrectly. I remember seeing parking lamps that were mis-marked L & R. Cast right into the housing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts