Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
I'd look at battery cable to see if it burned against exhaust and shorted out. Also make sure nothing touching post on the starter, like someone dropping a tool.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i was putting a battery in and the wires from the starter caught on fire what should i do now thanks
wires?....as in wires plural?....or just the main starter cable to the solenoid?

·
Registered
637 Posts
i was putting a battery in and the wires from the starter caught on fire what should i do now thanks
Step AWAY from the computer. Spray water on the remains of your garage. Make mental note to put the fire out and THEN post about it on the internet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this happened a couple of months ago but the wires are melted from t he starter and under the battery tray i think i put the battery in backwards and i dont know if there burned under the front to go to the headlights because theres that black plastic coating. also should i get a new alternator and any other parts the wires were connected to thank you

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
If the battery went in backwards that means car wasn't running I doubt any damage to alt but you can remove it and have it tested at most auto parts stores. The only other thing maybe is voltage regular as wires run from alt to volt/reg. Other circuits wouldn't be live unless car was running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts