Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my cluster gauge lights to work. I replaced all of them with after market LED’s and still no luck. The only light that works is the gas gauge light but it’s very faint. The blinker arrow lights work but only when I turn on the emergency flashers. The blinkers don’t work even though I replaced the turn signal switch and the two broken flashers. The car was originally parted out before I bought it so I think I might be missing some wires. I have a single pin blue-black stripe connector that I assumed was for the clock and a triple pin female connector with two blue-red stripe wires that doesn’t have a matching male connector. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. This is my first car and I’m teaching myself most of the wiring/installation.

·
Registered
263 Posts
First thing to try.. your headlight switch knob is a dimmer for the dash/interior lights..
With LEDs in the dash, the knob will need to be turned all the way clockwise (unless the LEDs are dimmable..)

..also, knob all the way anti-clockwise past a detent will bring the interior lights on. (Apologies if you know this stuff)

Secondly, the female triple plug I'm "guessing" is the hot plug for accessories..? Not required for the dash.

Not sure what ur flashers are doing, could be bad earth's..?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
So this is what typical no-tach '67 instrument cluster wiring should look like (aside from that disconnected clock). It's only got 3 connectors for the whole thing. One for the wiper switch and the two multi-pin blocks.
67-dash_wiring.jpg

As best I can tell from the pictures and the wiring diagram the clock should be blue/white and it's part of the instrument cluster wiring. I don't know where blue/black goes. Cigar lighter maybe?

I think all the blue/red are dimmable instrument lights. Your extra connector might be for the original radio's light.

The wiring diagrams are in the back of your shop manual, or you can check out most of them over here.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I was chasing a similar problem. I kept going back to the blue/red wire coming from the headlight switch but kept thinking it was something else since my head lights worked fine. Ended up replacing the headlight switch just to see if anything changed , and it did. Everything worked as it should.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts