Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Mustang 351w
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Had a break from kid sports this weekend, so I took the opportunity to fix the camshaft alignment, and installed the timing cover, water pump, and harmonic balancer. My head gaskets finally showed up yesterday, but while gathering all my parts for installing the heads, I discovered that I am missing a head bolt; I can’t find it anywhere. Looks like I’m going to be ordering a whole new set.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I dont know how you did that engine bay in a couple days. mine wasnt as bad and it took me a couple months.

·
Registered
67 Mustang 351w
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Crappy weather and no kids sports allowed me to spend some time on the motor this weekend. I checked piston to head clearance, and piston to valve clearance using the clay method. Also determined pushrod length using an adjustable pushrod, lighter checker springs, and a whiteboard marker. 8.350" length had the witness mark riding right in the middle of the valve, and the rocker arm appeared to be close to 90 degrees to the valve at 1/2 lift. I verified this on both the intake and exhaust valves on the #1 and #5 cylinders. I placed an order for some Trick Flow pushrods this morning.

Here's how it sits as of now.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Well after talking with Lunati, looks like I will be changing the timing again. We retarded the timing of the camshaft 4 degrees to get the 110 degree lobe separation by moving the crank gear from the 0 keyway slot to the “R” keyway slot. Lunati tells me this cam has a 4 degree advance ground into it, so it needs to be on the 0. So, we had it right the first time. This will be an easy fix, now that I know what I’m doing.

Your lobe separation is ground into the cam and not adjustable. I assume you mean ICL?

·
Registered
67 Mustang 351w
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Your lobe separation is ground into the cam and not adjustable. I assume you mean ICL?
I'm not 100% sure what I meant by that. I'm still new to all the camshaft lingo. All I remember is that when we were degreeing the camshaft, we rotated the motor, we took 2 readings, we added them together, then divided by 2 and it gave us 110. I thought this was the lobe separation, but I could be wrong. My buddy was primarily degreeing the camshaft, and I was a spectator.

·
Registered
67 Mustang 351w
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Finally found the time to pick up some longer bolts for the valve covers, so they are officially installed now. Got the distributor stabbed in as well (it kicked my butt)! I could not get it to go in that last 3/8”. I tried rotating the motor over, and turning the oil pump drive shaft a little at a time with no success. I ended up using a long socket extension and tapped lightly on the distributor flange for the hold down bracket. The first tap I could see it move, so I knew this was the ticket.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts