Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am looking at a 67 Mustang coupe and from pictures it looks pretty good however I have not put my own eyes on it yet. Before I do, I wanted to make sure I was clear on what areas to look at for any potential problems... Rust, subframe, etc. The car has had the floors replaced a few years back but from the pictures it looks like a decent job.
One thing I did notice that right where the header collectors are there seems to be some damage to the bottom of the subframe on both sides... doesn't look like rust but more like someone may have gone up there at some point and wasn't very careful or sloppy.
Any pointers yall have would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
14,294 Posts
Many Mustangs have dented floor supports because guys think they are a convenient place to put a floor jack pad.
The lower cowl is a big rust problem. Run water from a hose or a bucket into the cowl opening and see if it runs out onto the carpet.

·
Registered
10,325 Posts
Yep on the jacking in the wrong place too many times. On mine, I cut it open from the top (carpet out) and layed a chunk of iron in there and pounded it there with a sledge hammer.
Right in front of the rear wheel opening. Water drips down from the glass above it.
Right behind the rear wheel opening. at least there you can look at the area from inside the trunk.
Right behind the front wheel opening. Look for unsanded or poorly sanded bondo there.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
209 Posts
Don't forget bottom front of the doors- water drips down the glass and junk collects and plugs up the drip holes and you get rust.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Based on my '67 that was originally from Boston, I'd say look for rust:

On the frame rails where the front bumper arms attach
The drip rails / Windshield / Door post
Cowl
Frame rails directly underneath there where the front piece overlaps the floor piece
Torque box in the same area on the driver's side
Floors
Door lower edges / front corners
In the sail panel around where the drip rails end in the back for some reason
Around the fake air scoops
In the corners and channel for the rear window
Over the rear tires
Bottom of the trunk drop offs. Directly behind the tires, best to look from under the car
Rear panel where the fenders overlap above the tail lights
Rear panel between the individual tail light chrome pieces.

That should be enough to get you started anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much appreciated!... I've made an offer and its contingent upon the car is in the same condition as the pictures show... more to come!

·
Registered
1968 Mustang Coupe, 289, T5
235 Posts
Look at my gallery. this car had been in Michigan its whole life, so it is a worst case scenario.

Basically, the battery leaks eat up the frame on the passenger side, the brake fluid eats up the drivers side. The frames ALL fill with crap that hold moisture. Same with the floor supports and the rear frame rails. The lower cowl rots out around the vent openings, front and side seams. The torque boxes also hold moisture holding debris. Another few things to look at are the bottom rear trunk, behind the wheel wheels, and the rear bottom of the front fenders. The rear of the fenders hold a lot of crap that keeps moisture too.

Oh! And the bottom of the shock towers on the outside of the inner aprons and under the rear seat for the floor being rotted out from the rear torque boxes holding crap.

Otherwise, nothing to see here! 😆

1 - 7 of 7 Posts