Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have (2) 8.8 rearends. One from a '85 Police car and the other from a Lincoln LSC. Has anyone ever put one of these rears under an early model Mustang or Cougar? I read that the Ranger/Explorer rears will fit. I just don't have one available. I have a few ideas, need some more though. I was thinking of cutting off the brackets and using the original spings and perches.

'67 Mustang Coupe 5.0/AODE
'72 Tbird 429 PI C6 4 wheel disc
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by interceptor429 on 04/25/01 07:58 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i'm probably the only guy i know of thats actually put an 8.8 in his mustang and lived to tell about it ( and i drive it every day) now i dont know how wide the two rears you have are, but i think the LSC one would probably be the closest to fitting, adn when i did my install of the explorer rear i had to cut and move the spring perches anyway, so yeah, if the tueb diameter is the same you should definitely just use the original mounts, if you have any questions look at the chassis page of my website, and if you have any questions i didnt answer there send me an e mail, a private message, or just reply, i have all my replys sent to my e mail

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[color:blue]Todd (the guy with the 8.8)
restomod junkie, 19 y/o with too many ideas and not enough money to finish any of them..
ObsidianSpider on AOL IM
http://home.att.net/~obsidianspider/5lugwormviewsmall.jpg</font color=blue>

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
While I give Todd a lot of credit for doing this swap, it is VERY rare for a reason... everyone wants a 9" rear even the latemodel guys with the 8.8 spend thousands on swapping the 9" in for high hp setups. In my opinion it would be one step forward and 2 steps back to go to 8.8.

With all the rear disc kits on the market now, some for $400 and less, there is no reason to avoid using a 9" and making it disc if that's where you are going with this.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

·
Registered
20,871 Posts
I have to dis agree. The 8.8 is a strong axle, lighter and more efficient than a 9" axle. They're common as dirt, a lot of them come with disc brakes allready. A lot of 5.0 guys do just fine drag racing with them too. The 8.8 will take just about anything that a small block can dish out.

Sure a 9" is a lot stronger but for the street, it isn't needed. If a 8.8 comes with discs and is the right width, why not?

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Todd,

Thanks for the inputs. I have talked my local yard I frequent into trading rears with me. I am taking the disc brakes off the Lincoln rearend and giving it (the rear) to the junk yard for a trade on a Ranger 8.8
I have Magnum Force leafs for the rear and the Lincoln rear coame with a sway bar that I can bolt up to the chassis much like you did. This should be an interesting swap!
Oh yeah, I haven't had the chance ot check the fit, but the LSC rotors are a close match to the Granada discs. The backspacing looks about right anyway. I'll keep you posted.

'67 Mustang Coupe 5.0/AODE
'72 Tbird 429 PI C6 4 wheel disc
"It is a lucky man that has a wife and kids that love hotrods too"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts