Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a rookie builder, rehabbing my 67 Mustang. I am doing a complete engine rebuild on my inline 6 engine. I have the entire lower block put together and I am moving onto the head and rods. I have a question about my LIFTERS.

My questions,

Can I simply insert the lifters into position in the block ?
or
Do I need to make sure that my cylinder is at top dead center before I install each pair ?

Second question,
Should I pre-soak my lifters in oil before I install or just use engine grease when installing ?

Here is a pic of my cylinder block all ready to go.

All help would be appreciated

·
Registered
20,323 Posts
Install them without soaking them in oil. This is to allow the deflection to set preload. With oil you're fighting it for correct preload. They'll fill up with oil pretty quickly once the engine starts.

Of utmost importance is to coat the lobes and lifter rubbing surface with a generous amount of cam break in lube.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I’ve done it both ways, with and without soaking in oil, and there’s no difference. Pick what you’re comfortable with and go for it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the oil advice.
How about the position of the crankshaft and top dead center. Does it matter when the lifters are installed or can I just drop them all in and move onto the head ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts