Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am in the last stages of rebuilding my 67 Mustang inline 6 motor. Yes, I rebuilt a 6 cylinder. This is my first car project and I am learning as I go.

I got my block and head back from the machine shop. Had the cylinder bored and a sleeve put in one. The head was surfaced as well. I have put the block and head back into the car. New camshaft, lifters, rings, bearings, etc. I have to add the starter, distributor, alternator, etc. That should go quick.

I am getting close to being ready to start the car. I am looking for the steps necessary to start the engine for the first time.
  • Prime the oil pump - I have the drill exertion to do that, any advise on how to do this. Also which way does the drill turn clockwise or counter clockwise
  • Check the oil pressure - I assume I put my oil pressure tester on the car while priming the pump ?
  • Obviously add oil, coolant, etc prior to start
  • Any other steps I should be following before I start this engine for the first time ????
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
587 Posts
Prime oil pump by going CLOCKWISE on the drill. 6 cyl clockwise, v8 counterclockwise. Use DESTILLED water as it has no minerals in it. Have a fan handy as well in front of radiator to help cool incase front of car is towards wall. Proper ventilation so you don't get sleepy. :sleep:;) As well as what is stated above.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Ditto on checking torque on everything you can. Make sure all your belts are tight also. Last time I put my car back together it wouldn't start... then I remembered that I had bolted the alt and PS pump onto the brackets, but never tightened the belts up. I corrected my error and it started shortly thereafter.
Good luck with the car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. One question, what is the distilled water for ? The radiator ? Can you explain ?
Should I connect a pressure gauge when priming the oil pump ?

Anything else that I should do before trying to start ?

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
940 Posts
The straight 6 (200ci) the distributor goes clockwise unlike the V8. So you want to prime with it going clockwise. Distilled water is in case you have a leak its easier to clean up then antifreeze. Have timing light to set timing and screwdriver to set idle. Handy to have a friend help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it. So you run distilled water through the coolant system on startup. Once you are up and running with no leaks, you drain the distilled water and replace it with anti-freeze ?
Is that the idea

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Got it. So you run distilled water through the coolant system on startup. Once you are up and running with no leaks, you drain the distilled water and replace it with anti-freeze ?
Is that the idea
Yes thats the idea. And YES hook up the oil pressure guage and temp guage. Pull the top off the carberator and fill the float bowl about halfway so you're not having to crank the engine for an extended amount of time. You want it to fire quickly and get the rpms up to about 2k ti get the cam broke in.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Bring #1 cylinder to 10° before top dead center on the compression stroke and drop in the distributor adjust so the rotor points to #1 terminal on the cap.

When the engine starts bring it up to the recommended RPM by the cam manufacturer and follow the specified break in procedure.

Leave your mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine while it's running in. I also like to have a mechanical temp gage as well. Secure them in an easy to see spot in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would just add to recheck the torque on the intake and heads after a few heat cycles. My intake had loosened up on mine and caused a vacuum leak that was real hard to pinpoint.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Everyone,
I made good progress this weekend and I think I am ready for my start up. Everything is in place, except the distributor, all bolts have been checked, coolant and oil in the car. I primed the oil pump with an external shaft and drill. See the below video showing the oil flow. The pressure on my gauge was between 40-45.

I have a few more questions,
1. Does the oil flow look correct and is the Pressure OK ?
2. I was told to use Howards Cams Max ZPM Camshaft break in Lube ?
3. I have to put the distributor in, any insight on which way that should point ?
4. Can I start the car with the valve cover off so I can make sure the oil is flowing ?

Thanks for all your help,

Jared

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any thoughts on my post about starting the engine for the first time. Am I missing anything before I turn the key ??

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the vote of confidence. That is wha I needed. It will happen this week when I have time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Was just tinkering with my '67 i6 last weekend and had the valve cover off checking things while running, it didn't spit much oil at all, so nothing to worry about there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, another question. I tried to start the car today. No luck so far. Here is what is going on.

Engine won't turn over. At first I was getting gas spitting out of the carburetor and a little flame.
I pulled the distributor and tried to align it better to TDC and the #1 piston

I removed the distributor and rotated the rotor slightly and reinstalled.
I was close to getting to to start, but still no luck. I won't turn over. No more fuel spitting out of the carburetor. It's on the verge or starting but just won't go.

Any thoughts or idea's on my next steps. I am thinking I need to keep adjusting the distributor to get it aligned correctly,

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts