Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang Fastback 390 w/ Auto C6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, brand new to the forum and also my first muscle car. After driving around for 400 miles I think I have a good sense for the car but I am looking for guidance on how to tackle the various projects once we get into fall/winter of this year.

Some overall background on the vehicle: 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback with a period correct 390 FE V8. Equipped with a C6 automatic transmission and 9" Ford rear and power disc brakes. 390 V8 with aluminum intake, Edlebrock Performer-Plus 2106 Cam, Demon 650 CFM carburetor, and Hooker headers. Bucket seat interior with power windows. Documented receipts from work around 1998-2003. Car was VIN'd a 289 with manual transmission in Acapulco Blue. She's everything mentioned earlier and now burgundy red.

Under the hood:
  • The car currently does not have a reservoir for coolant. For example, I was driving today and after the ride some anti-freeze came pouring out of the drain hose after I put if back in the garage. Should I look to install some sort of reservoir container? If so, any recommendations?
  • Car does not have A/C. How much of a bear is it to install an A/C system on this car? Also, please see my comments in electrical regarding the alternator.
Starting/Turning Engine Over:
  • I've noticed some inconsistencies with the car in this area. Does anyone have any recommendations here? Carb checks out fine and I think it may be an issue with the Starter overall? I'm thinking I may need to get a more powerful starter to go with the 390. My goal here is to make sure the car turns over the first time, every time, if possible. Any suggestions here are appreciated.
Electrical:
  • Car was upgraded previously with power windows. Power windows struggle to go up and never fully close. Is this normal? Also noticed right after a cold start they don't even function until I get driving. I assume this is may be an alternator issue but again, any guidance is appreciated. I'd rather fix this issue then just start from scratch with the power windows.
  • Next, radio, it turns on and antenna goes up but no sound. Speaker is only located in the center of dash at this point. If I look to upgrade the alternator I'd like to have sufficient power to run a more sophisticated system. I may go with a simple retro kit that adds speakers to the front kick panels, speaker in center dash, and a retro radio that could handle an iPhone or I may splurge here and go with a double din touch screen system with touch screen for apple carplay in a TMI center console. After driving here I'd leaning more to keeping it classic and not go "restomod" but any suggestions and comments are welcome.
  • Speedometer - Car is gauging 12 MPH faster than actual speed. Will this cause the odometer to run "Faster" as well. How do I remedy this?
Interior:
  • Couple of scratches on usual places and some in not so usual places. Interior rear panels show some scuffing and scratching. What's the best way to repair this?
  • Passenger side scoop is not functioning (Can't get it to slide open like the driver's side.) I don't even know where to being on troubleshooting this item so any guidance is welcome.
  • Bench seat, can't get this to fold down for the life of me. I think there is an issue with the "clamps" on both sides. Is there a resource or a link where I can see what a normal functioning fold down back seat looks like?
  • Airflow, getting constant airflow under the dash and flows directly on the driver's legs. I'm pretty sure there should be an open/close latch for this but I can't seem to find it.
Exterior:
  • Paint is decent and serviceable for a weekend driver. Very minor ding on driver's side fender. Some cracking, and fading in certain area. What am I looking at from a cost perspective here? The person I bought the car from said I could get a paint job for $5K but I took it for a quote and was told $25K. I want the job done right but I'm not looking to drain my bank account here.
  • Bought 2 NOS 390 Mustang emblems for the car as well. Since they are NOS I'd assume this would be period correct to put them on the vehicle but I wanted to confirm. Is there definitive resource (website, book, magazine, etc.) on period correct Mustangs that I can reference?
  • Wheels/Tires - Currently all four tires are 15" BF Goodrich Radials. Has anyone gone smaller in front to give the car a different stance? How does that affect overall performance and is this recommended? Which way is period correct?
Wishlist Items:
  • Power Steering - Can I get some comments on installing power steering? Is it worth it? Do you feel more comfortable driving it? Pros/Cons?
  • A/C - Is it worth it? Do you feel more comfortable while driving it? Is it powerful enough to keep the car cool? Pros/Cons?
  • Sound Deadening Kits - Are they worth it? How much was the improvement after installation?
Thank you to anyone who reads or comments on this post. I'm super excited to get on this journey and will post some pictures tomorrow after I wash the car. I'd just like to figure out my next steps and the proper order I should tackle these items in the most efficient way possible.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
As I said in the other thread welcome.

Not sure I’d want the hassle of a 390 if the car wasn’t an S-code but you are past that now. As I said some things will be harder because of the 390. Like AC.

You have asked a lot of questions at once which can be hard for people to address. Sometimes best to ask multiple threads over time.

As for some questions.

Stereo - don’t need a new alternator unless you go big. But an FM unit with Aux input doesn’t need more power.

Speedometer - yes odometer is effected there is a plastic gear for the speedometer that can be changed out. You will need to research which you need.

I forgot the other questions but I will go back and look. :)

Good luck great car and welcome. Honestly the best thing I ever did was come to VMF when I got my car and then met the local guys. Yup don’t say where you are but see if any of the guys meet up or get to the local shows.

Three of the coolest guys I’ve ever met where VMFers.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
I don’t have a reservoir for coolant and my view if if your car is running well and the fluid level are correct you don’t need one.

As for start up make sure battery is getting full charge, heat soak can add to difficulty starting. I’d check your timing as well. I doubt you need a bigger starter that’s the last place I’d look.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Your post is a little long to respond to, but my advice, as someone whose car has been apart for 20+ years is....

DO NOT CATCH WHILE I'M AT ITIST.

Do not take the whole car apart, do little jobs one at a time so you can keep driving it.

Start with any safety or potentially stranding issues first and go from there.

·
Registered
1967 GT500
576 Posts
I would prioritize based on safety and reliability first. Things such as starting and electrical. Each item will no doubt require separate posts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey everyone, brand new to the forum and also my first muscle car. After driving around for 400 miles I think I have a good sense for the car but I am looking for guidance on how to tackle the various projects once we get into fall/winter of this year.

Some overall background on the vehicle: 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback with a period correct 390 FE V8. Equipped with a C6 automatic transmission and 9" Ford rear and power disc brakes. 390 V8 with aluminum intake, Edlebrock Performer-Plus 2106 Cam, Demon 650 CFM carburetor, and Hooker headers. Bucket seat interior with power windows. Documented receipts from work around 1998-2003. Car was VIN'd a 289 with manual transmission in Acapulco Blue. She's everything mentioned earlier and now burgundy red.

Under the hood:
  • The car currently does not have a reservoir for coolant. For example, I was driving today and after the ride some anti-freeze came pouring out of the drain hose after I put if back in the garage. Should I look to install some sort of reservoir container? If so, any recommendations?
  • Car does not have A/C. How much of a bear is it to install an A/C system on this car? Also, please see my comments in electrical regarding the alternator.
Starting/Turning Engine Over:
  • I've noticed some inconsistencies with the car in this area. Does anyone have any recommendations here? Carb checks out fine and I think it may be an issue with the Starter overall? I'm thinking I may need to get a more powerful starter to go with the 390. My goal here is to make sure the car turns over the first time, every time, if possible. Any suggestions here are appreciated.
Electrical:
  • Car was upgraded previously with power windows. Power windows struggle to go up and never fully close. Is this normal? Also noticed right after a cold start they don't even function until I get driving. I assume this is may be an alternator issue but again, any guidance is appreciated. I'd rather fix this issue then just start from scratch with the power windows.
  • Next, radio, it turns on and antenna goes up but no sound. Speaker is only located in the center of dash at this point. If I look to upgrade the alternator I'd like to have sufficient power to run a more sophisticated system. I may go with a simple retro kit that adds speakers to the front kick panels, speaker in center dash, and a retro radio that could handle an iPhone or I may splurge here and go with a double din touch screen system with touch screen for apple carplay in a TMI center console. After driving here I'd leaning more to keeping it classic and not go "restomod" but any suggestions and comments are welcome.
  • Speedometer - Car is gauging 12 MPH faster than actual speed. Will this cause the odometer to run "Faster" as well. How do I remedy this?
Interior:
  • Couple of scratches on usual places and some in not so usual places. Interior rear panels show some scuffing and scratching. What's the best way to repair this?
  • Passenger side scoop is not functioning (Can't get it to slide open like the driver's side.) I don't even know where to being on troubleshooting this item so any guidance is welcome.
  • Bench seat, can't get this to fold down for the life of me. I think there is an issue with the "clamps" on both sides. Is there a resource or a link where I can see what a normal functioning fold down back seat looks like?
  • Airflow, getting constant airflow under the dash and flows directly on the driver's legs. I'm pretty sure there should be an open/close latch for this but I can't seem to find it.
Exterior:
  • Paint is decent and serviceable for a weekend driver. Very minor ding on driver's side fender. Some cracking, and fading in certain area. What am I looking at from a cost perspective here? The person I bought the car from said I could get a paint job for $5K but I took it for a quote and was told $25K. I want the job done right but I'm not looking to drain my bank account here.
  • Bought 2 NOS 390 Mustang emblems for the car as well. Since they are NOS I'd assume this would be period correct to put them on the vehicle but I wanted to confirm. Is there definitive resource (website, book, magazine, etc.) on period correct Mustangs that I can reference?
  • Wheels/Tires - Currently all four tires are 15" BF Goodrich Radials. Has anyone gone smaller in front to give the car a different stance? How does that affect overall performance and is this recommended? Which way is period correct?
Wishlist Items:
  • Power Steering - Can I get some comments on installing power steering? Is it worth it? Do you feel more comfortable driving it? Pros/Cons?
  • A/C - Is it worth it? Do you feel more comfortable while driving it? Is it powerful enough to keep the car cool? Pros/Cons?
  • Sound Deadening Kits - Are they worth it? How much was the improvement after installation?
Thank you to anyone who reads or comments on this post. I'm super excited to get on this journey and will post some pictures tomorrow after I wash the car. I'd just like to figure out my next steps and the proper order I should tackle these items in the most efficient way possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can see the antifreeze spillage in this picture.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
1st thing to get is the 1967 Ford shop manual SHOP MANUAL REPRINT OF ORIGINAL 1967 MUSTANG - #L-25 - National Parts Depot
That will point you in a number of right directions.
A few points to start:
1) Airflow under the dash - there should be a push/pull round knob roughly above your left shin that opens a stovepipe-type air duct. Pull to open, push to close.
On the passenger side is a little (like an inch) long knob above your right foot that opens a door from the heater assembly to direct fresh air to your feet. Turn 90 º clockwise to open, counterclockwise 90º to close.
2) Fold down seat: you have the upper back cushion (apparently installed upside down, but I'm not worrying about looks) at a bit of an odd angle. Check with the factory shop manual to see proper installation. There once was a dedicated website to Mustang fold down seats but it is gone now -- perhaps someone else has a link to a copy of it? You can check sites like this for help with it as well
3) Starting - one of the first things to check is, is there the proper phenolic spacer under the carb to prevent heat soak? Again, check the shop manual for info on this. You should not need a radiator catch can, as said above check your timing. Your starter should be ok, the factory size worked well when Ford warrantied these cars when new.
Ok, that's all I can come up with right now... others will hopefully chime in too.
BTW, nice looking car!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Beautiful car.

I know this isn't on your list, but my first update would be go get with GTONavy and put LEDs all around. Better visibility and lower electrical pull. That car is too nice to get rear ended in.

Most of your other questions are very relative (what are you using the car for, what is your mechanical aptitude, what experience are you hoping for, etc). You might consider splitting it into specific posts and dig this out over time. Your responses are likely to be all over the place. You'll learn a lot reading the forums, so you might start with educating yourself, as many topics have been covered ad nauseum. The more you learn about the car, the better you'll understand the responses you'll receive.

I think this is the website that jfstang is referring to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts