Vintage Mustang Forums banner
41 - 60 of 125 Posts
I think Eleanor is a beautiful car. On the argument of there are already alot of them, where? I've never seen a single one on the street or in small-medium shows. I've never seen one in person. Man, I'd love to have one.

All that said, a red on red FB is a thing of beauty and I'd lean heavily in that direction.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light Car

Thanks for asking our opinion,,,
My apologies in advance to all the people I'm about to offend,
I'm a big no. Shelby or bullit clone maybe, but not Eleanor.
That car always brought to mind a bunch of movie people trying to come up with something striking on film. It worked I guess, but a slender bit of an improvement over some of the other celluloid crap that stood for a hero car in 70s, 80s movies.
Keep it classy

As others have said, "It's your car, do what you want." But do it with your eyes wide open. Consider the cost (licensed body panels and other parts are expensive). Consider the legal ramifications (if you donā€™t buy licensed parts). Most importantly, look at a lot of slightly modified Mustangs and decide if one of them might be really what you want instead.
I improved a good deal of my car, but Iā€™ve not touched the body lines. The '67-'68 FB is just perfect in my opinion. Just my opinion.

Reactions: blueovalfan68
A ton of you made me laugh out loud, fun thread to read!!

As for cars that "turn heads", that argument falls flat. Giant bulldogged monster trucks with neon underneath turn heads. Imports with 45-degree camber and 8 inch exhaust turn heads. If I mounted a stuffed goat šŸ to the hood of a Plymouth Duster with 3 dozen fiberglass scoops bonded to every available surface, I would turn heads. When you walk into a party with your shirt sticking out of your open fly, you turn heads..

Be careful of doing stuff just to turn heads... The heads may not be saying ooh and ahhh. They may simply be laughing. šŸ˜‰

If you do decide to go the E route, be sure to do a build thread so I can follow along. Anybody that can turn a '67 FB into this has to have some unbelievable skills.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

John

There is so much you can do to make it your own and classy without being the unoriginal E. That car has such great lines, why ruin it with all that plastic? Like @zray said, a Shelby replica is better than E.

Chris
Hi Chris, When you attempt to do a replica you are doing the same thing as I do the Elenor You're taking a vehicle that is not and pretending it is! So, what's the real problem?

Hi Chris, When you attempt to do a replica you are doing the same thing as I do the Elenor You're taking a vehicle that is not and pretending it is! So, what's the real problem?
The difference is the Shelby is good looking and has less plastic crap(wheel flares, side exhaust covers etc) while the E is played imo

Chris

Being a fan of the original Gone In 60 Seconds, I can't help myself.. . The 1974 movie has the absolute best car chase scene ever, taking up nearly half the movie. It features this car, the original Elanor - a 71 Mach redressed to look like a 1973 sportsroof:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: CNCN3 and Bad66GT
Being a fan of the original Gone In 60 Seconds, I can't help myself.. . The 1974 movie has the absolute best car chase scene ever, taking up nearly half the movie. It features this car, the original Elanor - a 71 Mach redressed to look like a 1973 sportsroof:
View attachment 819823
The Nick Cage re-boot of the movie was a D-minus gawdawful movie, no matter how much of a car guy you are. And when the Eleanor appeared, all I could think was, "Why?". Because it reeked of fakeness, which totally ruined the storyline that the car was somehow an object of value. The chase scenes did nothing for me, because I knew that a Shelby was not involved. Hollywood spends so much money on these movies, but never pay car people to advise. Was watching a new series with my wife last night called Yellowjackets, where a Porsche cranked over strong, but wouldn't fire/start. Then the gal lowered her power window. Later on, the story was that the car had the battery cable removed.... Ummmm... Then how was the starter spinning and the window moving? All you need in your multi million budget is one guy who works at Pep Boys. But apparently they wing it. Lol.. Last movie I saw with a car that looked good and valid was Gran Torino.

While I'm not a fan of the 67 "Eleanor" Mustang, it's your car and you are free to do as you like. I would caution you that PROPERLY installing an Eleanor kit is non-trivial. Too many people think all that fiberglass stuff just bolts on, you paint and you go. The reality is those pieces and parts require a lot of trimming, grinding, sanding and filling to make everything line up and look good. Many, many an ambitious Eleanor fan has given up and sold the car and parts for pennies on the dollar.

Whatever you do, have fun!

View attachment 819823
Me too. It blows my mind the car is still around and drives!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

View attachment 819823
For those who haven't seen this movie, it is full length on YouTube. Worth a watch for sure

Discussion starter · #60 ·
appreciate everyones comments, this is my 3rd project fastback to restore and was thinking more doing a restomod...but after looking what eleanor are selling for, i had to ask šŸ˜

41 - 60 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.