Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 5/16 hose on the gas tank sending unit, and after some minor research I found that 5/16 is the right size, yet its still leaking. I've tried moving the clamp twice but I can't get the leak to stop when I refill it with gas.
Do I need to move to a smaller hose size or something?
If anyone knows, the help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
How old is the tank/fitting? It might be leaking from somewhere else and "pooling" around where the hose is attached.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Or even if new, look close at where the fitting comes through the plate. Pretty good chance it is leaking there and wicking down to the hose. Take compressed air and blow it dry then watch closely where it is coming from. You can use jb weld or other epoxy to repair if you pull the unit out.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Does the 67 have the O ring seal between the tank and the sender like a 66? If so it could be leaking for there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wrap some electrical tape around and around the tube to you build it up large enough that the hose will fit over it snugly. My father did this with his dirt track oval Racer back in the late sixties. He was leading the race until the gas melted the tape sealed off the fuel and he coasted to the infield. Oh. Never mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah turns out there was a hole in the welding on the sending unit.
Also sorry for the delayed response.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts