Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm ready to put the 67 coupe on a rotisserie. My question is, do I put the car up on jack stands, remove the rear axel and leaf springs & all front suspension and steering. Then attach the front and rear rotisserie brackets. Then attach the car to the end pieces of the rotisserie? I don't have a lift or anything, do I use a couple of floor jacks to raise the car enough to attach it to the end pieces of the rotisserie? The rotisserie was given to me by a retired coworker that built it to restore his 68 fastback. It's in really good shape and should really help out in the restoration of my wife's grandfather's 67 coupe. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just went through this with my Falcon. The "plan" is to make a gasser out of it with a 427 sideoiler.I bought the engine, built 100% using from NOS parts from my 90 year-old neighbor. Its never been started. I slo have a rebuilt 351 Cleveland with roller rockers and all the trick stiff that came with a '34 pickup I bought. I'm not using the engine in the pickup so it could possibly end-up in the Falcon? This is a factory black , factory 4-speed '64 Futura. I'm not real thrilled about cutting the shock towers out of it but that is the only way to stuff a 427 in there. I have a backup factory red, factory 4-speed Sprint project that won't get butchered.

Your going to need to put it on jack stands anyway to remove the rearend. Good jack-stands! Your going to strip the car of pretty much everything. For now I left the dash complete, the moldings on and the rear window. I think the mouldings are safer on the car for now where i can't step on them.

In this photo I have an F-650 brake drums with a mag wheels and tires on top of them. Pretty much whatever I could find in the yard to stuff uder the car. Those big drums make great jackstands. They work really well under all four wheels, there is noway it can fall off of those drums. In this picture the car is balanced on those drums and tires with a jackstand holding the front. A little strange but it worked. You have to remember the body does not way very much at this point. Balanced like it was I could lift the front off the jack stand. It was only like this for a couple hours.

Everything looks better with Torq Thrusts! The only way they could look better is with smoke coming off of them.

Your going to need to remove the rear springs and the front bumper brackets to attach the rotisserie adapters. I bought these adapters for a Mustang but they worked on the Falcon by drilling different front bumper bracket holes. They were spaced differently than a Mustang.

There is the rear bracket that will attach to your spring hanger.

Pretty simple. Goes up where the spring shackle bolt goes.

Escuse my Ford junkyard mess. I'm working on cleaning it up. As soon as a clean up a spot I haul something else home. Too many projects and not enough discs left between my vertebrates.

I don't care what this tool cost. Its worth every penny. It makes it so nice to work on this car.

One of the first things is to take a pressure washer to it. I tried it on an area and it just ripped the undercoating and seem selaer right off of there. No need to crap it off. Thn will came th sand blasting with one of the Harber Freight blasters. They do okay for what they are. It just takes along time. You should be prepared to primer whatever you take down to bare metal the same day. A good quality epoxy primer. This car has some rust damage in the floor. I think I'm better off to repair the section than replace the entire floor.

That is me. I'm too old to be crawling around on the ground. Bought a hoist and stuck it in the garage too. If its not at eye level I'm not working on it anymore, Hurts too bad!

This should have only been a one hour job to setup the rotisserie but it was my first time and I made some mistakes. I should have unbolted that red "T" shaped piece and bolt it on to the adapters. Then rolled the rotisserie over and bolted the "T" piece to it. It would have made it so much easier. Once you get it the height you want and install the safety bolts you can easily remove the cylinders so they don't get full of sand if your blasting the car. Plus the rams in these cylinders are steel and they rust so its better to remove them and stick them in the garage.

That long threaded rod is to adjust the balance so the body stays put in whatever position you rotate it too. You raise the vehicle up until the center of the body is even with that round tubing above the jack cylinder, That's where it pivots so the center mass of the body needs to be even with that tube. If it isn't centered two people can't rotate the body. If it is centered a little kid can do it. I can easily spin it with one hand. You can see in one of the above photos where the body is pretty much centered with the pivot spot on the rotissere. You keep raising the body evenly front and back using that welded on nut on the threaded shaft until you find the balance point. I had to loosen all those little bolts and nuts so the thing could slide and then tighten then back up.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Definitely a nice write up on attaching and using the rotisserie. Now tell us about that 69/70 Mustang in left hand corner of the one picture. Your Futura project is looking good and sounds like it's going to be wicked when you get it done.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
great writeup! Love the 64 futuras! My 29 year old son wants one...he is not into mustangs....at least I swayed him away from the chevys, lol..he currently is into jeeps, no thank you... .if you wanna throw in the towel on one of them, hit me up! I have an auto twirler that I need to put a 65 hardtop mustang on soon, your advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I built my own rotisserie. I had frame damage both in the front and rear, as you can see in the picture below, along with rotted floor pans. So I decided to put a frame under the car and attach that to the rotisserie.

I removed to engine and trans and used the engine hoist to get the car up onto cinder blocks. Slid the frame work under the car and attached it to the lower control arm anchor and the rear leaf spring anchor points.

But I didn't get the spacing on the lift bar centered so the car was either top heavy or bottom heavy. Recently I added a screw device that will allow me to adjust the car and get it centered on the rotisserie.

·
Registered
19 Posts
^^^ yes what brand and where'd you get the shackles to mount the car!

Its a Autotwirler. Definitely not the cheapest one out there. If you can weld you could make one. I could have made one, especially after looking this one over. I don't have a lot of time even though I'm retired. It was easier to click on PayPal have UPS bring it. We have a great metal supply place in Riverside, CA. They have everything there. They have metal cut up into short lengths. Its like Disneyland for the fabricator. The jack cylinders you get from Harbor Freight, The threaded balancing devide would be the hardest part to make.

Auto Twirler | Spinning Cars For Over a Decade

·
Registered
635 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it the Auto Twirler "Elite" or "Pro"?
I don't know, its a red one.

Its been sitting in the garage for a couple of year's. Its been so long since I bought it I don't remember which one it is? let me go see if there is a decal on it. I guarantee It will be which ever one cost the most. They charge extra to powder paint them. Its a "PRO". I watched some youtube videos and read some people comments and most of them seem to like the Autotwirler. Some of the people complained that it cost too much. I try to buy tools that will at least last as long as I do. The only thing that can go wrong with it are those 3-ton rams. It has nice casters on it would good locking brakes. No complaints from me,

·
Registered
853 Posts
I also built one to keep it as cheap as possible. Bought two Harbor Freight engine stands and cut and welded them to a larger frame I built and then used some 4x4 channel to connect the ends. Think I built everything for about $400. I also had the advantage of a welders scrap pile of steel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts