Vintage Mustang Forums banner

67 Mustang Running Poorly - HISSING AND STALLING

396 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  67.dutch
Hello all!

Just signed up for this forum and I’m glad to be here, it would help me out greatly if I could receive some sort of advice on what to do with my car.

So I have a 67’ 289 coupe, and a few weeks ago as I was backing out of a parking space there was a jolt that happened with the car and then the car appeared to become louder, and a hissing noise erupted from beneath the dash. I proceeded to turn the car off, and turn it back on. This did not help the issue being that the car then proceeded to idle higher and had the same hissing noise. There was also a delay on the gas pedal when I tried to drive it, seemed like a 1-2 sec delay I had to drive it over to my girlfriends house for the night, and as I was driving it over the car would almost stall upon reaching slower speeds. I haven’t touched the car since it was towed over from my girlfriends house a few weeks ago, been too busy with work. Any ideas on what my problem may be?

Please let me know, thanks!
Francis E.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
67 Fastback T5, 331 stroker, TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear, 3.55 gears
2,290 Posts
Does your car have power brakes, and if so how did the brakes feel when you drove it. Nevertheless, it does sound like a vacuum leak somewhere.

· Registered
1967 Ford Mustang 289
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a very large vacuum leak. If you have power assist brakes I would first suspect the hose came off the booster or something like that.
This was it! The hose had come off, was an easy fix just had to diagnose the issue.

Thanks so much! :)
Francis E.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.