Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1967 S code Fastback
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
New to the forum, which I’m sure happens a lot when a reader eventually has a question. I stripped my wheel wells down and primed ( not epoxy primer as I probably should have) and then coated with 3m professional rubberized undercoating. Didn’t realize it’s not supposed to be paintable and read lots of problems with rust forming under these types of coatings. As much as I hate to ask, should I strip it all out again and start over? Thoughts on how it will hold up? Thanks!
Tony

·
Registered
473 Posts
Do you plan on painting them? If so, strip them. I'd use a propane torch and a putty knife.

If you prepped correctly and don't plan on driving in the winter/salt, I'd probably not worry about it. Inside the car is more prone to rust (standing water) than the exterior portion.

I'm rustproofing the hell out of my car, but in all reality...this thing will be stored indoors and driven in good weather. There is bare metal on the car that didn't rust 50+ years later. I think, based upon how most of these are driven/stored we almost all overthink the rust issue.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
Where did you get the idea the coating can not be painted? I've done it, it sticks, so what now?
By the way: in the rear wheel wheels, it should be painted body color.

·
Premium Member
15,230 Posts
Where did you get the idea the coating can not be painted? I've done it, it sticks, so what now?
the danger of rubberized coating under the car is its propensity of lifting up as the years go by. That’s when the moisture collects and just sits there rusting away.

Z

·
Registered
1967 S code Fastback
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you plan on painting them? If so, strip them. I'd use a propane torch and a putty knife.

If you prepped correctly and don't plan on driving in the winter/salt, I'd probably not worry about it. Inside the car is more prone to rust (standing water) than the exterior portion.

I'm rustproofing the hell out of my car, but in all reality...this thing will be stored indoors and driven in good weather. There is bare metal on the car that didn't rust 50+ years later. I think, based upon how most of these are driven/stored we almost all overthink the rust issue.
As far as prepping I primed well on both sides and then put 2 coats of the 3m and have since painted 2 coats over the rubberized coating. Looks great. I keep the car garages and will keep a close eye on it. I agree. Probably over thinking the potential for rust. Thanks fir your time!
T

·
Registered
1967 S code Fastback
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many posts state the tar based rubberized coatings are not supposed to be painted. Never could find any posts that say what happens negatively when you do paint it. Also 3M sells a separate paintable rubberized undercoating. I have since painted two coats on both wheel wells and it looked fine and stuck really well. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1967 S code Fastback
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the danger of rubberized coating under the car is its propensity of lifting up as the years go by. That’s when the moisture collects and just sits there rusting away.

Z
At least in the wheel wells I can keep a good eye on it. Right now I just have everything completely out of the wheel wells so it’s easy to work on it and figured if I had to do something now is the time to do it. I decided it was not worth the effort and I think it’ll be fine. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.