Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be helping my father in-law restore his dad's 67 Mustang coupe, 289 automatic. I'm suggesting to him that he replaces all of the wiring harnesses with new. Anyone have any suggestions on good OEM complete wiring harnesses to buy?

·
Premium Member
9,687 Posts
Send the originals to "Midlife" for restoration. You'll have to use the search function to find Midlife. He is a member of most old Mustang websites.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I don’t see the need to replace it, maybe clean it up. My car was in about as bad of shape as you can get and my wiring harness works fine.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Send the originals to "Midlife" for restoration. You'll have to use the search function to find Midlife. He is a member of most old Mustang websites.
^+1 He was hit by the hurricanes a while back and was hoping to be back at it around now...may be a bit backlogged.
He does a great job at a reasonable price. He really doesn’t do “concours” stuff, but fixes original to be functional and safe. I suspect it would be much cheaper than an aftermarket and will be specific to your application.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been emailing Randy,seems very helpful! I will check out Alloy Metal products too. Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is pertinent to a coupe project I will be bringing home over the Winter. The seller says the harness is intact, but rough. These options are excellent. I am also looking at the Painless pre-cut and terminated kit. While it is exspensive, the time it can save may be worth it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had a S-code fastback burn in the '80s, insurance chalked it up to old/dried/cracked wiring, and that was 30+ years ago!

I'd not trust (now 50+ year old wires) an original harness in a restored car, yeah I know I may be paranoid, but when these cars were made they were expected to live 5-10 years.

I'll never tell anyone it was painless (hell I'm still working on my speedometer) but the universal kit from Painless was of a much higher quality that 1960's OEM, and costs far less than a new OEM style harness, plus I've converted to a new fuse box with the blade style fuses.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Generally in the past Midlife (Randy) has recommended new harnesses under the hood (main headlight, gauge feed, and alternator) as the underhood environment really cooks the insulation over time. From the firewall back, (main underdash, taillight, and ancillary) refurbishing is a reasonably priced alternative.
If you decide to go for new reproduction harnesses, they are factory correct, color coded, and plug an play. I've redone two '67 fastbacks and the ease of plug and play is remarkable.
Depending on your wiring skills and the time you have available to rewire the car, the Painless terminate-it-yourself option can save you some money at the eexpense of time. Value your time and make your decision.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great discussion! byteme, you mentioned if I go for "new reproduction harnesses, they are factory correct, color coded, and plug and play", do you recommend a manufacture? I like the plug and play feature over terminate-it-yourself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That was about 14 or so years ago and I am not 100%, but IIRC they were branded by Scott Drake. I bought them from Shaun (Street or Track). Perhaps he remembers?🥴

1 - 14 of 14 Posts