Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am going to replace my oil pump in my 67 Mustang 289. I am going to replace it with a high volume oil pump. I have a few questions though. Is there ANY way to prime the oil pump without taking out the distributor? Next thing is how long should it take to do this? Last question...Does anyone know of any web sites that actually show this procedure being done? This way I can get a visual. Any help, tips or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Stang6767

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
No problem. The oil pump drive will come out with the old OP from the bottom. With the pick-up installed on the new OP, imerse the pick-up screen in clean oil, (coffee can full?) and turn the OP drive until oil starts to come out of the port that mates to the block. You should be able to use a 5/16" socket to turn the OP drive. That's it, your primed. This will work fine for a engine that is not a new rebuilt.

Tips? no, it's pretty straight forward. Make sure the OP drive is properly seated in the distributor when you reinstall it. Make sure the bolts are properly tightened. If you have a secondary mount to one of the main cap bolts on the pick-up, make sure you do not disturb the torque on the main cap when you remove/reinstall.

Hal
Love hard, drive fast, wear your seat belt.

PS, thats's my 'bird...... My Mustang is too ugly to take pictures of yet........*G*.

http://www.teleport.com/~cosa/bird2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC you cant do it without removing the distrib. I used a long flex shaft tool for adjusting carbs and broke off the plastic handle (cheap Harbor Frt stuff) and stuck it down a length of rubber hose. One end of the flex shaft fit around the oil pump drive shaft and the other attached to my electric drill. Run the shaft counterclock to pump up the oil for a minute or three. Then remove, quickly and carefully replace the distrib and fire her up. I have done this myself.

"When you hear pounding hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." - Dr. Harold Slavkin, Dean USCSD

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You can always prime the pump as Hal described before installation...I usually pull the pump bottom plate to blueprint it and when re-installing, I coat the pump gears and cavity with STP or light grease, just in case it sits for a while and doesn't get primed before firing.

Another method to prime the "oiling system" is a method we use on race cars involving a pressurized vessel of oil hooked to the pressure guage sender tap on the block or plumbed into a remote filter line....air pressure over the oil or over a bladder covering it forces the oil through the block port or line and pressurizes the lube galleries as well as the downstream side of the oil pump. I've used this type of system, often known as an "accusump", in past years with good success for pre-oiling the engine prior to firing.

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts