Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting an '88 5.0 HO into a '67, and would like to use the '88 power steering pump to drive the original control valve and ram, is the pressure and volume adequate to do this? thanks, tedbo

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I have been wondering if later model pumps would work in our old Stangs as well since I am tired of having mine leak.

For your application Tedbo, it should work fine assuming it already fits the motor. Are you using a serpentine belt or multiple V belts? But as far as line pressure goes, it should be the same. I have been using the old style pump on my Mustang that has a newer style rack and pinion in it, so I am guessing if you went the other way around that would be ok.

Another dilema could be the hose connections on the newer pump. If they are metric fittings, good luck! I had to make a custom line/adapter for my rack swap to use my old pump, but it works fine with no problems.

Has anyone done this late model PS pump swap?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Can't say about the pump you are choosing. however, I did use a KRC pump w/ a remote reservior. I only had to change the volume oriface. So... I would say yea, you can do it.

I had hoses custom made by a local hydraulic hose shop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, I'm using the serpentine belt, and actually the entire setup on the '88 5.0

1 - 4 of 4 Posts