Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove my 67 fastback for the first time this week! It took me 3 years to complete.....The engine fired up pretty easy but....I have noticed two things. 1. The power steering pump was howling a little bit so I unhooked it so I could break in the cam without worrying about the pump. I have been driving around without the pump and it is pretty easy to steer. Problem is that there is excessive play in the steering and it has a completely rebuilt power steering box. Can anything else contribute to excessive play? I just had the car aligned.

2. I have a terrible "creaking" sound in the front end. Brand new suspension with rubber bushings. It is not like the sound of an upper control arm bushing but almost like a "quick binding" sound. Any ideas on that one? Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
935 Posts
Without the pump hooked up you WILL have a lot of play in the steering. The ball stud actuates the hydraulics, and without them hydraulics working, it will move around in the sleeve quite a bit before moving the linkage manually.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Without the pump hooked up you WILL have a lot of play in the steering. The ball stud actuates the hydraulics, and without them hydraulics working, it will move around in the sleeve quite a bit before moving the linkage manually.
Yeah... I replaced just about everything on my '67 - Centerlink, tie rods, power-valve (steering box has no play) but even with the PS running, that ball-stud still has to move a bit to actuate the fluid. I was pretty disappointed with all the money spent with little improvement. I believe the '67 factory PS is about the most complex and "crappy" steering design out there. If I would have known, I'd have gone with a rack&pinion unit... probably will in the future some time... Good luck!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Understand that the ball stud has to move for the valve to do it job. It is a very good reliable system. You need to simply understand it. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Rodes Restoration in Galion OH can do something to the valve assy that helps (though doesn't cure) this problem. I know not what it is, but it sure helped mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts