Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Your 65 box uses a 1" sector shaft so you want to stay with that so your pitman arm and linkage all stays the same. I assume from your post that you want a short input shaft box so you can use the collapsible pieces from the later models?
Ford actually used a box in some 67 Mustangs that had a short input and a 1" sector shaft. These would be a SMB-C for manual steering (19:1) and a SMB-E for power (16:1). These would be fairly hard to find because Ford only installed them during a short period of time in the 67 model year. If you can't find one of those, you should be able to get a rebuilder to rebuild the spare 67 box and change it over to a 1" sector shaft so it would more easily fit your car. It would require changing the sector shaft itself and the gear casing, but a good rebuilder should be able to do it during a rebuild. If you decide to go this route let me know and I can recommend one to you that has done this conversion.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.