Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:
I just took a look at the 4 speed toploader that came with my 67 390 fastback. The number on the top of it is 7R02Q192815. As far as I know, there were no Q-code Mustangs in 67. Any ideas what it's from? In order for my car to be truly numbers matching does it have to have a tranny with a number stamped on it that matches the VIN? As far as just having a tranny that works, will this tranny work in a 390 Mustang? Trevor

·
Registered
174 Posts
That code is not a toploader id. Check out http://www.toploader4speed.com. As far working in a big block 67 make sure you have a 3/4" input shaft. The 1 13/16th is a small block trans and may not take the torque. Of course the reverse is unfortunatly true, the shorter big-block input shaft will oftern fail in spectacular fashion when used in a small block application.

·
4,143 Posts
That looks like a 67 GT500 VIN number. :: The "Q" code engine for 1967 was a 428 PI. So you may have a toploader from a GT500 that I once owned that had the engine, transmission and interior removed without permission. I am kinda kidding :p about it being from the GT500 that I once owned. :: You can probably check with http://www.saac.com/ and find out if it was removed from a GT500. fd

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Sorry, the Shelby GT 500's in 67 all had "S" coded vins. I don't know why. So, the "Q" code might be out of a Galaxie
OOo, that's rare.
OR: the first "7" is really a "9"

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Looks like a VIN to me but the GT 500s started as 390 cars so they would have a S in them. Do the other numbers match your car? Otherwise it might be from a Fairlane or a Galaxie. I think the Q might have been an option for the 67 Fairlane. Anybody know what other cars were built at the San Jose plant? It could have been that they ran out of the 390 trans on the line and put the 428 one in your car.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The 67 GT500s were Q-codes. That's a transmission out of a 67 Shelby GT500. If you contact SAAC they can tell you the matching Shelby VIN. Maybe you can reunite this tranny with the original car!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sorry, Rodster, but that is not correct. Look in the Shelby Registry, page 619 - All '67 GT500s had a Ford Serial number with a "Q" engine code. They did NOT start out as 390 cars - all were stamped with "Q" to start as they were all planned to have the 428 PI installed. It says some may have come with 390s when 428 supplies ran short, but even these had a "Q" engine code. SAAC has ALL the original invoices and serial numbers, there would be no disputing their serial numbers.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
67 Shelbys came with the big input/big output close ratio toploader from a big block Torino. Tag RUG-S

·
Registered
258 Posts
I checked the Ford database and that VIN corresponds to a 67 GT500 Shelby that was painted Nightmist Blue. Bring up any connections? While one comment about all serial numbers on 67 Shelbys having an "S" in the serial number is true, it is also true that when the San Jose assembly plant stamped the fender aprons and drive train, they used a "Q" for the engine code. Of course, keep in mind that 428 Police Interceptor engines were used, which actually had an engine code of "P," Go figure. That's what assembly life was like in the 60's.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Here's a slightly related post from April 2001 I ran across on Wednesday while Googling the Usenet NG rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang:

In 1968 Shelby serial numbers changed. Prior to 1968, Shelby serial numbers were of a form specific to Shelbys - for example, my 1966 Hertz Shelby has a serial number of SFM6S**** which decodes to "Shelby Ford Mustang, 1966, Street, **** consecutive unit number". They changed somewhat in 1967 but were still Shelby derived. In 1968, the serial numbers were simply the Ford serial numbers with an appendix of the Shelby consecutive unit number. It is common knowledge that the engine code for 428CJ's in 1968 was "R". As Bill S. said yesterday, the first 1968 GT-500KR was consecutive unit number 2008. Looking in the Shelby Registry, the complete serial number is 8T02R199216-2008 . Note the "R" engine code denoting 428CJ! Regular 1968 GT-500's had an "S" engine code (Started out as 1968 390 Fastbacks shipped from Metuchen, NJ). I think this will disprove that the first KR simply had "KR" stripes applied to a regular GT-500!

I also wrote an email to Doug W[ ], the 1968 SAAC Registrar. His response and my email are shown below:

----- Original Message -----
To: Mike G[ ]
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 7:16 PM
Subject: Re: 1968 GT-500KR question

I don't know of any KR's that were not CJ powered. All of the engine codes I have seen for the car are R's. It was reported that "some" '68 GT500's "may" have received 390's instead of 428's because of a rail strike and a shortage of engines at the assembly plant.

If this is true it is not known which cars were affected because the engine codes are all S. This also may be an assumption by unknowledgeable people because the S engine code is a 390 engine code for the Mustang in '68. There are no confirmed 390cid '68 Shelbys.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
trust me if kevin marti says its a 67 shelby gt500 i bet you everything i own he is correct, oh p.s. 7 hubcaps you know he is the one who owns the rights to all the factory ford recoeds? youve heard of a MARTI report this is him and bet the farm he is right!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's some interesting information. I also believe Kevin if he says the tranny came from a 67 Shelby. If anyone knows the owner of the car, put him in touch with me.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The Shelby VIN and the corresponding Ford VIN are known only by SAAC (Shelby American Auto Club).

If you would like to contact the owner of the car your toploader came from, you should contact Howard Pardee at SAAC. They will pass the word on to the owner.

If the transmission is complete you have somewhat of a valuable toploader. It would be nice to see it back with the GT500 it came from.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Matthews is the 67 registrar. Contact him. Might be the car is "owner unknown" but you never know.
And they will NOT give you the Ford Vin, they will mention that it matched to a GT 500, but Mr Marti already proved that.
www.SAAC.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts