Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to put a shroud on the radiator in my '67 289. The fan is rubbing against he shroud on the top and forward sides. Anyone have troubles with the shroud?

It may be that my fan is not stock, and therefore doing the rubbing.

Anyone have trouble with a stock fan and a shroud, or do they all go in zip-thud?

·
Registered
952 Posts
You will have to install a smaller flex fan. Try 17" instead of 18". Even with the 17" you may have to take a dremel tool to the very bottom portion of the shroud. The repro's are not perfect. I had to sand down just a little off the bottom.

Good Luck

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,643 Posts
Some ideas:

1. Measure the diameter of the fan and the opening in the fan shroud. If you've got less than 1/2" clearance all around your fan is probably too big for the shroud.

2. Make sure that your radiator is mounted correctly (side to side and front to back) so that the radiator is positioned correctly relative to the fan

3. check your motor mounts to make sure the engine (and fan) are properly centered in the engine compartment

4. try a fan spacer of a different height to change the relationship of the fan blades to the shroud

good luck

·
Registered
145 Posts
Do you have a stock radiator? When I added a 4 row rad. I had to change the fan spacer. I think I ended up using a 1 1/2 inch spacer.

·
Registered
553 Posts
i have a stock 4blade fan on my 302. the shroud is a repro and the fan has near to nil clearance. it's alright as long as no one moves the shroud or bumps it. you could shave a little off and you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
I put a shroud on years ago and had the same problem when I reved the engine. The fan actually put a small crack in the shroud. I put two small holes in the shroud and pulled it forward with black cable ties around the radiator opening at the top. Worked, but did not look the best at shows. I'm about ready to replace my shroud. I like the idea of using a shorter fan spacer. Can I buy a shorter spacer, or must I modify the existing?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cutting the spacer is an idea, but I have never done it. I was thinking of changing back to the original fan size, if it is different -- not sure. I tried tying it back to the radiator, but that didn't work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts