Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to install our rear bumper over the weekend and there is a noticeable rise in the center that peaks just below the gas cap but both of the outer corners are lined up perfectly. Also, my pop open gas cap hits the bumper and is not even close to opening all the way. I'm wondering if this is how all reproduction bumpers are or if we have a defect? If I measure the height on the back side of the bumper (putside edge to outside edge I start at 4 inches after the corner and it increases to 4 1/2 inchec in the center. Does anyone have a bumper they could measure and let me know if this is to be expected - thanks!

Photos for reference:

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
Also, my pop open gas cap hits the bumper and is not even close to opening all the way.
There's a clue right there. My pop open cap opens 90 degrees, so either a bad stamping or it got bent somehow in the middle where there is less material and is most vulnerable. What brand is it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure, I purchased it from NPD. It’s their part number 17906-2A. I’ve actually called them twice, once on Saturday but no one was there who could help then again today and was told no one working had knowledge on the old mustangs :unsure: Thought I’d see if someone here might know or be able to check theirs. Thx!

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
I’m not sure, I purchased it from NPD. It’s their part number 17906-2A.
That is arguably the best repop bumper available, but that doesn't mean they're all perfect. I'm sure NPD will see you get satisfied though, they're like the Nordstrom's of the car parts business. :)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
My 20 year old "Nordan" rear bumper is the same as your new one.
I had to put a small clear pad that the flip cap rest against when open.

·
Vendor
3,873 Posts
Just now seeing this.. There is indeed a little bit of "creep" up towards the middle on the 67-68 bumper (best seen on my Shelby with the long horizontal tail lamps, and original Ford bumper), as well as it being slightly concave on the horizontal plane. The relationship with the flip-open cap is TIGHT, but you should still have 3/8" clearance. I don't know whether you can find a happy medium with adjustment, or shimming it out a touch.. But these are indeed "the best" 67-68 rear bumpers extant on the market, quality goes steeply downhill from here.

I'm making a note, when I can get some time, to try and study our repros compared to original. Problem is, you can't really "fine-tune" bumper tooling. If we decide it's not acceptable, then all-new tooling must be created using original bumpers as benchmarks. And believe me, that opens the Pandora's box of unintended consequences sometimes.

I know my post isn't helping much, but it's the best I've got at the moment.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Rick for the reply and photo - that is exactly how mine looks. I've taken my bumper brackets in to have them shortened in hopes to get the bumper a little tighter against the car - thinking that may help some as well. Hadn't thought about shimming out the cap itself but that's a great idea too.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Here's a pic of my 67, taken in summer of '67 so it's factory. I know it's original, that's me in the pic. Check out the bumper, it appears dead straight. The gas cap didn't hit it when opened. but there was not a lot of clearance between the two either.

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
Here's mine. The tail light panel is original and was never detached from the trunk braces during the build. After coming across numerous recommendations to do so, I used two gaskets between the filler pipe and panel.

·
Registered
35,851 Posts
Yes, the Mustang rear bumper curved inward, as a design feature. Often the pop-cap did contact the bumper.

Of course, these bumpers are not railroad rails, nor are they Austrian crystal. By that I mean it is possible to slightly alter the curve, if needed.

Some repros are pretty good, some are awful. I remember at GN one time we received a case lot of rear bumpers, and lo and behold, every one of them curved outward instead of inward. We called the supplier, and they told us to destroy them, and they were replaced. Badly made tool.

For a long time Nordan bumpers were outstanding, even better than the last of the FoMoCo bumpers. Then Nordan subcontracted the job, and quality disappeared. I have Nordans on my 66, and when they are the worst thing on my car, they'll get replated.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I wish I would have kept the original bumpers from my 68 and had them rechromed.
The 20 some year old Nordans that I have do not fit that well. The gas cap hits and the ends are sitting low from the fender extensions,
i thought of trying to pull the center down with a hydraulic puller but worried that the bumper will buckle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just now seeing this.. There is indeed a little bit of "creep" up towards the middle on the 67-68 bumper (best seen on my Shelby with the long horizontal tail lamps, and original Ford bumper), as well as it being slightly concave on the horizontal plane. The relationship with the flip-open cap is TIGHT, but you should still have 3/8" clearance. I don't know whether you can find a happy medium with adjustment, or shimming it out a touch.. But these are indeed "the best" 67-68 rear bumpers extant on the market, quality goes steeply downhill from here.

I'm making a note, when I can get some time, to try and study our repros compared to original. Problem is, you can't really "fine-tune" bumper tooling. If we decide it's not acceptable, then all-new tooling must be created using original bumpers as benchmarks. And believe me, that opens the Pandora's box of unintended consequences sometimes.

I know my post isn't helping much, but it's the best I've got at the moment.

Rick
NPD View attachment 746365
Rick - finally got around to reinstalling the bumper - I'm running just short of 3/4 in gaps on the outside top on both sides - would like that a little tighter but I'm already above the bottom of my pop open gas gap and it will not open. Thoughts? Do I need to swap this one with a different bumper to see if this one is just flawed? How are my angles looking from the side, do I need to shim the bracket so it tilts in more at the top (tilt out at the bottom). Thanks!

IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0234.JPG IMG_0235.JPG IMG_0236.JPG IMG_0237.JPG IMG_0238.JPG IMG_0239.JPG

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
Mine curves inward a little bit, but not upward like yours appears to be. I just put a 24" straight edge on the top of mine and it sits nice and flush.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine curves inward a little bit, but not upward like yours appears to be. I just put a 24" straight edge on the top of mine and it sits nice and flush.
Is your rear bumper original or reproduction - if repro can you share what you purchased and where? I've spent about 6 hours over several weekends trying to get this to work and I don't think I can get it any closer. Probably just need to give up on this one and do something else - thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
Is your rear bumper original or reproduction?
It's a repro, but I do not know who the manufacturer is/was. I'm sure I got it from either NPD, CJ's, or possibly Mustangs Unlimited (recently defunct).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts