Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 67 FB that has drums on the rear. I was wondering if their was a very cheap way too convert them to rear discs.

Like possibly interchangeable parts from other vehicles or something. The axle is a 9".

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
You might try doing a search here. There was a fairly long thread about this a few days ago.
Stan

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
get a used 8.8 that has them already. Explorers are good since they come with 373 gears and locker differentials and more upgraded clutces than Mustangs. Got mine for $125 off craigslist. It wont just bolt in though.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
get a used 8.8 that has them already. Explorers are good since they come with 373 gears and locker differentials and more upgraded clutces than Mustangs. Got mine for $125 off craigslist. It wont just bolt in though.
Thats exactly what I am doing... already have the RE, just need to work on it to get it in. Disks on the back aren't really that much of a must do like the fronts... only reason I'm doing them is because it came with the rear end.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
rear discs

If you do some checking here, you'll find that rear discs on an early mustang is basically a waste of $$$. There isn't enough weight there to be effective. unless you carry a 100 lb sack of sand in the trunk. Shelby used the station wagon 10X2 1/2 drums and they stop fairly well. The price tag and work involved in the rear discs just doesn't justify the effort and the poor results. They look neat and are a common swap, but for the years we restored mustangs, we never found a case where it could be justified as an real improvement. Others may like them, but I can find a lot of other things to upgrade for safety that work better. The hardest part of the big drums is the backing plates. The wheel cylinders are very common, shoes even more common as Ford even used the same shoes for fronts and Aerostar and some other newer cars use the 2 1/2 drums. Minimal labor- as it isn't much more work than replacing shoes and drums!
Just an experienced opinion!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts