Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a repop dash pad for my 67 fastback.
Has anyone some advice in buying one.
how many manufacturers are there ?
Any advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I also got the Dashes Direct for my '67. Fit and shape is good. The texture and grain leaves a little to be desired, but probably the best alternative unless you can find an NOS original or a used in VG condition.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
viking said:
I also got the Dashes Direct for my '67. Fit and shape is good. The texture and grain leaves a little to be desired, but probably the best alternative unless you can find an NOS original or a used in VG condition.
I also used the Dashes Direct pad, and you are being kind. I have found it has a lot to be desired in regards to the texture, grain, sheen when compared to an original pad.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Well, repro parts being what they are, I'm sure many guys would just be happy to have something actually fit without modification and if it has the the exact grain and texture is secondary to fit on the priority list.

First repop dash pad I bought 12-13 years ago for my 68 didn't even fit right let alone have the right "look" to it.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
sigtauenus said:
Well, repro parts being what they are, I'm sure many guys would just be happy to have something actually fit without modification and if it has the the exact grain and texture is secondary to fit on the priority list.

First repop dash pad I bought 12-13 years ago for my 68 didn't even fit right let alone have the right "look" to it.
Very true indeed. But when I compare to the one I bought for my '70, it was like night and day when compared to the one in my '67.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,713 Posts
I too got a Dashes Direct dash. I didn't much care for the grain, feel, and texture either. It's not that bad, just not what I was expecting. My dash is made of urethane rather than vinyl. It won't ever be quite like vinyl. However I expect it should far outlast it.
Mine fit just fine and needed just a little trim away from the winshield weatherstrip.
I was put off a bit initially but figured that the details mattered less than the quality material and fit.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The grain is just plain wrong. It is MUCH more "coarse" than the factory pad. If you see them side by side the difference just jumps out at you.

I thought about getting one and putting a thick coat of paint on it to smooth out the grain but found out that nothing sticks to the urethane. So that's out.

Since I have a vert and the dash pad is very visible I patiently watched ebay for a decent OEM dash. Took about 3 months and I had to pay $150 for it but it is a really, really nice pad. Didn't matter about the color because dyeing it took care of that.

It's up to you to decide just how "correct" you want to be.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
68RCodeConv said:
I thought about getting one and putting a thick coat of paint on it to smooth out the grain but found out that nothing sticks to the urethane. So that's out.
Did you research epoxy primer? I'm under the impression it sticks to urethane.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I also used a Dashes Direct pad. I was pleased all around with it. Yes, the grain is wrong, but the grain on the DD looks great as-is. It just does not mirror the original. Fit was real nice too. I expected to have to do a lot of internal foam scupting to get it right but it went right in with just a little trimming at the windshield base.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts