Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have been around this great site a while and really come to like the knowledgeable and humorous folks here. I thought I would start to post my ongoing love/hate affair with my 67 Coupe. I have been working on it for 4 or 5 years now, it was a inline 6 originally but is now a 302/C4, 9 inch rear, Grenada disc and a few other things. At this point of time I am at the body paint stage and will revisit the mechanical later (have a original 69 Mach 1 351W 2v waiting to be built) First a pic of the car at the moment.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Great thread in that link in your sig. You've done extensive work to the '67 and it's paying off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you rorin67, been a long road but enjoyable. I wanted to post more directly here instead of having a link in sig so I thought I would do both since the link is aimed at body shop guys where here is aimed at any one and every one who may be interested in doing the same thing and hopefully it is helpful to them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Looks great, love the flares. I am planning on doing that to my 65 in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Looks like fun! The most enjoyable part of my resto was the bodywork I did. Now I'm moving on to the boring wiring and door guts reinstall and interior....

·
Administrator
19,647 Posts
Jeez I fell like I have a twin. Not only do I have a '67 coupe getting VERY similar body mods all around but I'm also getting distracted by the completely decrepit '69 Sportsroof 351W car I acquired a while back and am trying very hard to ignore un til the 67 achieves more progress. My 67 has the same side scoops, molded in. I went with glass flares. The rear spoiler I haven't got around to. I've been kicking around a custom semi-Shelby/eleanor type type front valance/spoiler setup. Current drivetrain is moderately rebuilt 351W with a T5. Been in progress for many years but is currently annoyingly close to being capable of at least a test drive.
AND I see our coupes started out not only as 200's but were even the same color.

·
Administrator
19,647 Posts
OK never mind, after reading I see it was blue. Thought it looked green in the first pic.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I may soften up the body line on the rear flares yet. I do enjoy the patching part of body work for some reason, probably because it is so easy to start seeing results.

@GypsyR Do you have a link to your build? I would not mind having a look at my "twin" so to speak, other peoples build gives me new motivation and idea's.

A lot of my build comes directly from Rusty's 68 build, I like what he did to his but mind you there is no way I can compete with his skills. I did my flares from the 2 pics he posted, that is all I had to go by but it worked out in the end.

·
Administrator
19,647 Posts
I'm not big on pics but I've a few here and there. I take them more to stare at and wonder if what I've done is what I want. Not so much to show to anyone else. Need to take some more, now that I've browsed I realize some of these are pretty stale. It's been a looong resto.
Not twins exactly, but definitely heading in the same direction.
Old, but shows the flare and scoop decently. Rear flares kind of grew from me putting in a rear axle that is too narrow (Maverick) and finding some pretty cool and weirdly offset wheels. Plus my quarters are solid, just rotted right at the wheel lip.

An idea of the front (in progress). I was studying on that 18" wheel. Got a deal on a set, long since sold them as they didn't really suit me. Also studying on how I managed to rotate the flare slightly to the rear which drove me nuts until I hacked it all back off an redid it.

Kicking around impractical front end ideas. Which reminds me I STILL haven't bought a new front bumper. LF flare not there yet in that pic.

This plan was actually visualized and started on years ago. Then they came out with the "new" Gone In 60 Seconds which really hacked me off. Kind of soured me a little on the look I was after but I forged ahead. Since this car never really has to be "done" I might take it all back down and go in another direction. Or maybe I will just redesign the flares or something.
BTW, I REALLY like your all steel flares. Very nice.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hours?... good question, I spent way more time on replacing and flaring out the rear quarters then I did on the spoiler... I suppose a couple of months working week ends.. At first I was not sure what to do with the uneven lines and not so good a fit of the extensions. I had to move the deck lid over 1/4 inch and add material to the extensions, they were not as bad as some fiber glass parts, just needed careful thought and tuning. All fiber glass is from Stangaholic and they leave their molds together for a while to cool down to prevent twisting.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks 68 GT, believe it or not but it is your car that has inspired me the most. It is almost exactly what I want in color (going Night Mist blue instead tho) and exterior mods (I went a little extra with the flares) but I am going with all the chrome and darkened windows. I am not having the R apron but thinking about making my own all steel chin spoiler but we will see if that pans out or not.

You have a great looking car there

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Great build so far--I thought about flaring the fenders on my 67 too, in fact that's why I bought the car was because I wanted to learn how to flare fenders. I wanted to do a trans am look but not sure now--it's a very clean original a/c car.
Just read through your build thread--great stuff in there.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Thanks 68 GT, believe it or not but it is your car that has inspired me the most. It is almost exactly what I want in color (going Night Mist blue instead tho) and exterior mods (I went a little extra with the flares) but I am going with all the chrome and darkened windows. I am not having the R apron but thinking about making my own all steel chin spoiler but we will see if that pans out or not.

You have a great looking car there
That's going to look great in dark blue with those wheels / tires especially with the wheel opening flares and the wheel offsets !

can wait to see it come together I'm jealous of the rear flares and wheel off sets :) I'm going to get my 8.8 rear end in then work on getting my rear wheels widened and then off set outward more (rear ened / spacers ?) and wider wheels / tires inward. My tires look anorexic out back becasue these wheels only came in 17X8 :thumbsdown: I'll probaly send them off and have them widened to 17x10.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The wheels is all I have at the moment but later would like to change them, they are only 15x7's and I think 3 1/2' back spacing but I have at least 2' between tire and leaf spring with the wider diff so I have plenty of room for wider rims.

It has been a little slow going but got the flare all welded up and 95% ground down, will finish tomorrow. Then I will start on left fender for rust repair and fitment, I may also do some filling tomorrow on the right fender since temps might be up to 70F.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts