Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back, I had the idea of converting my '67 S-Code Fastback into a Shelby clone, 6 speed manual, etc, etc. I even posted a thread on here soliciting thoughts and opinions. Well, life got in the way, other responsibilities, work, other projects, etc. To be honest, in the back of my mind, the thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on ANY of the upgrades was the fact that it's numbers matching. Restomods bring huge money these days, but most of the big dollar builds are very well built. I am not a mechanic by any means. On the other hand, while I don't plan on selling it, I would like to know that if life went bad and I needed the money, I wouldn't be hurting the value. With all of that being said, I want to drive the damn car, and have decided to simply do that, but will do incremental upgrades/maintenance. So, now on to my questions:

1) I haven't driven the car over the past year due to a lifter making noise. I don't know if I want to replace the lifter or...."since I've got it all apart, may as well....." I will wrestle with that on my own, as FEs can be bank breakers. To be honest, it's not very exciting for a big block. It runs out of breath by 4k. Decent off the bottom, but doesn't do much as the RPMs climb. Thinking it's the heads or exhaust, but regardless, there are tons of good FE recipes out there, just depends if I want to give up a month's pay, or a year's pay. Regardless, I do want to fuel inject it. So.....what are your thoughts on the Sniper system vs. the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4?

2) Suspension - What is the latest on the market? I'm never going to be on the track, but do want to improve the driving experience. CPP? TCI? Etc. What is the current formula for making a classic Mustang drive as good as it looks.....without breaking the bank!

3) Steering - Typical Ford power assist. Would love to re-do the entire front end, and if the numbers didn't match, then I would go all out. Are there any reasonable upgrades to improve both performance and feel, or should I just rebuild the stock setup and be happy with it?

4) Transmission - It's got the C6 backing the FE. Not going to lie....I can't stand it. It's loud, it sucks power, no OD, etc. It is stout, however. Would love to swap to a manual with OD. What are your thoughts on this conversion relative to the cars value as a numbers matching S-Code? It's not an inexpensive swap so I am not sure this is on the near term list.

5) Any other general thoughts (maybe this should have been the first question?) on simply making subtle improvements to improve the driving experience?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
1) How many miles on the engine? You might just need to run a cleaner through the system. There have been a number of posts discussing the best fluids to add to your oil (or even to run in place of the oil for a bit).
During my on-line fantasy window shopping I've noticed that many FE parts are way more expensive than SB parts. One thing I’ve considered is going with new heads and headers. Add an aluminum intake and FI should make a big difference. The best headers (actually fit) seem to come from FPA.
I also await the comments on the Sniper system vs. the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4.
2) Suspension – IMHO, the biggest issue with the suspension is the lack of caster. Adding caster gives the car that return-to-center/go-straight feel. Unfortunately, getting more caster requires pulling the LCA forward by the strut rod, and trying to get 3-5º of caster can result in the front tire being pulled so it touches the fender when turning. The solution is an UCA with the ball joint moved rearward. Various venders have new UCA with that variation. I have Global West, but others are good. Do the Arnick/Shelby drop at the same time. Some of those aftermarket UCAs allow for a full 1½ inch drop rather than the 1 inch drop limited by the factory UCA. Also consider a full roller set up, including strut rods and spring perches. I do, coupled with Bilsteins, and it is a nice set up.
3) Steering – This is a discussion where everyone has a different opinion. I did a total rebuild by Chockostang, including a roller idler arm, and it is much better than stock (and makes the car enjoyable to drive), but it is not comparable to a new R&P system. For R&P there are many options, but I have no personal experience.
4) Transmission – I upgraded the Toploader with a TKO600. The difference on the highway is beyond words. Expensive, but worth it.
5) The number one issue with reliability is the wiring, so check everything and make sure all grounds are good.
Charlie

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
As long as you're not cutting out shock towers, tubbing and back halving the car, anything you do is gunna be reversible. Keep any thing you swap out, like C6, heads, and manifolds. Radiator and shroud. Basically all the stock parts.
If you ever needed to sell, the buyers could be either from the Concours, or Restomod crowd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent feedback so far, thank you! I definitely need to prioritize the effort(s). 1) Deal with the noisy lifter and start driving it again! During this process, other gremlins will pop up, and then I will deal with those.

There are other things I want to tackle along the way....freshen the gauges, swap in a '70 tank to get some more range.....maybe even one of the newer tanks with modern baffling, and fuel pump provisions, leaks and creaks investigated and dealt with. The list goes on.....

·
Registered
35,908 Posts
A few years back, I had the idea of converting my '67 S-Code Fastback into a Shelby clone, 6 speed manual, etc, etc. I even posted a thread on here soliciting thoughts and opinions. Well, life got in the way, other responsibilities, work, other projects, etc. To be honest, in the back of my mind, the thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on ANY of the upgrades was the fact that it's numbers matching. Restomods bring huge money these days, but most of the big dollar builds are very well built. I am not a mechanic by any means. On the other hand, while I don't plan on selling it, I would like to know that if life went bad and I needed the money, I wouldn't be hurting the value. With all of that being said, I want to drive the damn car, and have decided to simply do that, but will do incremental upgrades/maintenance. So, now on to my questions:

1) I haven't driven the car over the past year due to a lifter making noise. I don't know if I want to replace the lifter or...."since I've got it all apart, may as well....." I will wrestle with that on my own, as FEs can be bank breakers. To be honest, it's not very exciting for a big block. It runs out of breath by 4k. Decent off the bottom, but doesn't do much as the RPMs climb. Thinking it's the heads or exhaust, but regardless, there are tons of good FE recipes out there, just depends if I want to give up a month's pay, or a year's pay. Regardless, I do want to fuel inject it. So.....what are your thoughts on the Sniper system vs. the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4?

a) Start with the basic indicator of engine health... a cranking compression test. Record the numbers for each cylinder after the first "pulse", after 6+ consecutive pulses (when the gauge stops rising) and repeat the "multiple crank" test after adding 2oz of fresh engine oil to each cylinder. Perform the test on a warm engine with the coil wire grounded and the throttle blocked wide open. Make sure the battery is, and remains, fully charged.
b) Depending on the results, you'll find that its "breathing problems" are probably related most to the camshaft profile and carburetion. An aluminum intake will help a bit, especially with front end weight.

2) Suspension - What is the latest on the market? I'm never going to be on the track, but do want to improve the driving experience. CPP? TCI? Etc. What is the current formula for making a classic Mustang drive as good as it looks.....without breaking the bank!

a) Stock pieces are fine. Do the "Arning Drop" if it hasn't been done already and use the revised "Shelby" alignment specs.
b) Shock make a BIG difference. I recommend Koni's or Bilsteins... the "good" ones, not the "consumer grade".
c) A larger front sway bar helps... no need to go TOO big... 15/16' for a big block should be fine.

3) Steering - Typical Ford power assist. Would love to re-do the entire front end, and if the numbers didn't match, then I would go all out. Are there any reasonable upgrades to improve both performance and feel, or should I just rebuild the stock setup and be happy with it?

a) Have Chock rebuild your factory steering box and, if it's not performing as it should, your Bendix power assist system.

4) Transmission - It's got the C6 backing the FE. Not going to lie....I can't stand it. It's loud, it sucks power, no OD, etc. It is stout, however. Would love to swap to a manual with OD. What are your thoughts on this conversion relative to the cars value as a numbers matching S-Code? It's not an inexpensive swap so I am not sure this is on the near term list.

a) A Top Loader is ideal for a FE with it's gobs of torque. Instead of thinking about an OD gear just use a taller rear gear instead.

5) Any other general thoughts (maybe this should have been the first question?) on simply making subtle improvements to improve the driving experience?

Thank you!
hth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts