Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Read Only
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed up, hope this family story isn't too long to read or too sappy. If so, skip to the last paragraph. :)

In 1977 my father and I restored a 65, straight six coupe. My first car. About 10 years ago I inherited from an in-law who passed this 67. It was my wife's aunt's car, the first thing she purchased after leaving an abusive husband back in 1967. Back when women didn't leave those situations; it was her symbol of independence and her pride and joy. An incredible lady but she had become disabled later in life and the car had sat a few years in the weather...and showed it. A week after inheriting it my father was down from SW Washington State visiting me here in So Cal. Told him I really didn't have the time or adequate garage to restore it, or even make it a decent driver and that a guy had drove by who offered me 5k for how it sat. Over the next couple of days I would catch him looking at it and asked him if he wanted it. Didn't really think he would want to take it on in his 70's, and didn't want to burden him thinking he had to or I already would have asked him. Dad told me he did indeed want it…and would give me 5k. Told him he was crazy if he thought I'd let him give me a dime for it. Life had come full circle and you don't let moments like those pass. Anyway, I sent it up to him in SW Washington. He did a body off, frame up detailed restoration. All original. Now he just doesn't have the ability to keep it up and wants to send it back down to So Cal for me and my 14-year old son to cruise PCH and eventually for it to pass down to him as a family heirloom.

It represents the will of our favorite aunt on my ex-wife's side of the family, and on my side my father who always fixed things and who my son adores as much as I do. It is all original, was looking at upgrading the power steering and going to disc brakes but that was about it. Any other recommendations? And there is no way we will ever sell it but was curious what it roughly might be worth?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
Love it. The car is priceless for your family. I'd guess north of 20k, but an experienced appraiser for insurance would be a smart move.

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
I see an A/C compressor mounting bracket and a condenser. Did it have factory A/C or aftermarket add-on? Does your father have the missing A/C parts?

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
@awhtx: It had factory (in dash, not hang on) AC at one time.

That is a very nice looking car. The only thing I would do to it, and only if it had that boaty feel, is to replace the suspension and I always go through the brakes. Looks like drum all the way around. Might do a disc conversion on it. If you are just looking to sell, leave all that for the next person. Do a quick look on Searchtempest for what people as asking for 67's in similar condition. The prices seem to be in the 16-22+ range depending on location and options. Yours has plenty of options so it is in the higher end. You will find higher prices at the vintage car dealers, but who knows what those really sell for in the end. It's like the NADA BS. Dealers are cherry picking cars to sell so not really an indication of market value across the board in the old car market. Funny how you always see the most ragged out rides touting NADA values. Yeah, good luck with that. That obviously though is not a problem for you! Beautiful car.

·
Read Only
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@awhtx: It had factory (in dash, not hang on) AC at one time.

That is a very nice looking car. The only thing I would do to it, and only if it had that boaty feel, is to replace the suspension and I always go through the brakes. Looks like drum all the way around. Might do a disc conversion on it. If you are just looking to sell, leave all that for the next person. Do a quick look on Searchtempest for what people as asking for 67's in similar condition. The prices seem to be in the 16-22+ range depending on location and options. Yours has plenty of options so it is in the higher end. You will find higher prices at the vintage car dealers, but who knows what those really sell for in the end. It's like the NADA BS. Dealers are cherry picking cars to sell so not really an indication of market value across the board in the old car market. Funny how you always see the most ragged out rides touting NADA values. Yeah, good luck with that. That obviously though is not a problem for you! Beautiful car.
Thanks for the reply. Going to keep it and drive it on weekends now and then, cruise Pacific Coast Highway. Yeah, I agree with the boat feel and will look into options regarding the suspension. Definitely going to do disc brakes and had thought about rack and pinion but spoke to one of the several shops that specialize in classic Mustangs here in So Cal and at least he didn't recommend it. Said any of the kits out there aren't the best fit. It has factory power and it is a bit sloppy. Probably a new box and he said there is a power steering upgrade kit that also cleans up the hose configuration.

I was figuring 16k to 22k myself as well. But as you say, it isn't what a book or site says, it is what people will pay for it. As you may know, Orange County is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. Lot of money and people with classic cars. Find the right person and who knows. Maybe put a clean little sign in it with all the goodies, park it in one of the visible places where the money is and maybe someone who has a soft spot for these or is just struck by it may pay top dollar. 25k to a lot of people here is like $25 to most of us. But, I highly doubt I will ever sell it.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
35,890 Posts
It's only "original" once. I'd leave it as is, and find a proper A/C compressor to make the system functional again.

FWIW, there is nothing about the original Bendix power steering system that needs "upgrading". It's the same system used on C2 & C3 Corvettes, through 1982. As far as power brakes, they don't make the car stop any better, just make it stop with less pedal effort and unless you have a leg issue makes little sense, especially if you aren't doing daily urban driving. Value? It's a "survivor" with a desirable color combo (IMHO) and well-optioned... I would guesstimate that its ACV (Actual Cash Value) if you were going to sell it in today's market would be around $20k as long as everything works and is in good condition.

Edit: No need for front disc brakes, either, unless you plan on driving it like Steve McQueen in 'Frisco or are thinking about pulling that pop-up camper through the mountain passes. While they are more fade resistant, again, they don't make the car stop any quicker.

·
Read Only
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's only "original" once. I'd leave it as is, and find a proper A/C compressor to make the system functional again.

FWIW, there is nothing about the original Bendix power steering system that needs "upgrading". It's the same system used on C2 & C3 Corvettes, through 1982. As far as power brakes, they don't make the car stop any better, just make it stop with less pedal effort and unless you have a leg issue makes little sense, especially if you aren't doing daily urban driving. Value? It's a "survivor" with a desirable color combo (IMHO) and well-optioned... I would guesstimate that its ACV (Actual Cash Value) if you were going to sell it in today's market would be around $20k as long as everything works and is in good condition.

Edit: No need for front disc brakes, either, unless you plan on driving it like Steve McQueen in 'Frisco or are thinking about pulling that pop-up camper through the mountain passes. While they are more fade resistant, again, they don't make the car stop any quicker.
Good points, yeah, I kinda was thinking along those lines as well, just seemed in the little I had looked into it the disc brakes seemed to be relatively common thing done. Lived in the Bay Area during the 80’s so pretty familiar with it, probably but like you said, not going to do any McQueen, Dirty Harry or Streets of San Francisco hill jumping if I did cruise up there. ? Definitely need to look into the steering box and/or other front end components to tighten it up but keep it original. Didn’t research this too far but noticed a couple of vendors listed on this site for front end components (recommendations welcomed). Car isn’t down here yet but a while back I briefly drove it while in WA and it needs some front end attention somewhere. Figure it out for sure when it arrives. My dad is 84 now, he stopped where it is now a few years back as age started to limit both his desire and ability, now just needs a couple of finishing touches.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Throw on a set of Koni shocks (with til they go on sale, they do several times a year so you can save a few $$ and an easy do it yourself job), have Chockostang rebuild your steering box (mine is on tap for that this spring too), and go through all front suspension/tie rods including the sway bar and strut rod bushings, and perhaps a new set of rear springs ($200 ish) from Eaton Spring (via NPD) as the old ones have probably sagged over the years if they weren't replaced yet. That shouldn't set you back too terribly much and you will really feel like you have a new car again.
You have a great looking Mustang and nicely optioned. Worth keeping in good shape and enjoying. +1 on the not selling!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Only suggestion I have is to not ship it. Fly up and drive it down with your Dad assuming he's up to it. Make it an opportunity to spend some time with him. If the 14 year old will survive the trip in the back seat maybe bring him along.

Great lookin car!

·
Read Only
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Throw on a set of Koni shocks (with til they go on sale, they do several times a year so you can save a few $$ and an easy do it yourself job), have Chockostang rebuild your steering box (mine is on tap for that this spring too), and go through all front suspension/tie rods including the sway bar and strut rod bushings, and perhaps a new set of rear springs ($200 ish) from Eaton Spring (via NPD) as the old ones have probably sagged over the years if they weren't replaced yet. That shouldn't set you back too terribly much and you will really feel like you have a new car again.
You have a great looking Mustang and nicely optioned. Worth keeping in good shape and enjoying. +1 on the not selling!
Thanks for the tips, when I had an S2000 and an 84 Carrera a few years back I learned the value of a good forum. I saw Chockostang mentioned on here and checked out the website, looks like an excellent resource and more affordable than I would have thought. And thanks for the tip on Eaton Spring, yes, they have sagged just a little and how a car sits goes so far in how it looks as well as rides Something I've always been conscience of regarding any car, one of those people that if you leave me alone in your house l'll straighten any crooked pictures. And yeah, not selling. The sentimental value wouldn't allow that. It was my first car at 16 that dad and I restored, and the original owner and his work into this one will be a priceless memory trigger every day I will see it. And, hey, it's a classic with a look that will always endure. Plus the history with Ford, McNamara, Iacoca, its development and immediate success, makes it iconic on so many levels. My mom used to laugh when Dad would say he was taking out to get gas, which meant putting a few bucks in at a few stations so he could have people come up and talk to him about it at each one. :)

·
Read Only
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Only suggestion I have is to not ship it. Fly up and drive it down with your Dad assuming he's up to it. Make it an opportunity to spend some time with him. If the 14 year old will survive the trip in the back seat maybe bring him along.

Great lookin car!
Thanks! Yeah, wish Dad could handle it, would be an awesome drive especially if we diverted down Big Sur, but it's a good 18 hours or more just down the 5 and his hip just wouldn't allow it. As far as my son, he is almost 6' tall at 14-years old, the backseat of a Mustang would be a bit much over that long. We're 20 minutes from Laguna Beach; cruising up PCH to Huntington, Venice and maybe all the way up to Malibu off and on, hitting In-N-Out and killer taco spots along the way will be our thing. Always had a convertible sports car for that but the stang will be even better. Cracks me up that a country hillbilly from SW Washington is now cruising the coast of California on weekends. Loved growing up in WA but I'll never leave So Cal.

·
Read Only
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see an A/C compressor mounting bracket and a condenser. Did it have factory A/C or aftermarket add-on? Does your father have the missing A/C parts?
It is all there. Might need a little work, he doesn't really test it out being in Washington and as little as he drives it so I'm not sure what it might need. In So Cal it will be a must.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts