Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been reading about making a 3 point seat belt setup work.
i was wondering if anybody has hidden the retractor and pivot inside behind the quarter panel?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I haven't hidden the front retractor there, but I have the rear retractor in the trunk with the belt coming through the package tray. Works and looks great.

·
Registered
980 Posts
No way to hide that retractor behind the panel. It HAS to go on the outside. I also hid my retractors in my trunk as 67460 Stang did. If and when you go with three point belts, buy direct from Retrobelt. Dodge the Scott drake, npd, etc brands. You'll pay about $180-190 shipped from retro directly, they're super helpful, and there's no chance of getting repacked kits like I did from npd. For your rear bench, get the 12" bucket seat receiver kit, don't use the plastic guides, and they fit the bench perfectly.
The front belts don't look to bad with the belt setup visible.

In case you're planning on doing the rears, and hiding the retractors in the trunk, these guides I have are pop in style, ad are off a 78 corvette. They have colors available to closely match your interior. I wouldn't paint them because the belts will wear the paint out eventually.

Reactions: mrtleavitt

·
Registered
644 Posts
i've been reading about making a 3 point seat belt setup work.
i was wondering if anybody has hidden the retractor and pivot inside behind the quarter panel?
I have seen threads on people installing the retractor behind the quarter panel. They cut a hole in the quarter for the belt to come through and put in the plastic safety guard. I cannot find the posts right now, but they are out there.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Same here lizer. I'm sure as the post above mentions , you can butcher your cars body to cram the retractor near the quarter window but I can't see that as being safe. Plus, you can see in my pic above the anchor point on the rear panel is angled a bit to allow smooth movement for the belt.
If you had it coming out of the quarter panel, I'm almost positive it would bind up when you pulled it over your shoulder or tried to get it retract back in as it moves at an angle. The rear belts just come up and back down over the guides I installed. No weird angle like up front..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Late 90's Mustang convertibles utilize the quarter panel. i like the update for the back bench seats 66/93 made.
Just thinking out of the box with available Ford parts that dont require drilling holes and interfering with the quarter window regulators and thin floor-mounted L brackets.

·
Registered
634 Posts
For the rears, I had seen someone post they used the rear belts from a Fox convertible...I think it's a molded unit that runs up the back of the seat, bolted to the floor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts