Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 67 style shelby roll bar for my Mustang. I need to know exactly where to weld it. It sits on top of the rear torque box so I have an area of about six inches front to back to place it. I don't want to weld it too far forward or back. Anyone have the placement measurements for my roll bar lower mounting point?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
No, I don't but look at pictures of where the toll bar comes through the fiberglass side panels. Using that as a guide I would cut the holes in the side panels first, then place the bar just sitting in place and then put the side panels in place to make sure they line up with the correctly spaced holes. The rubber bushings that you can buy through Branda for the roll bar to pass through the side panels whould be on too. Once that is done I can lift the side panels up to see where they are positioned, mark them and weld them. That's how I'm planning on doing it. ::

·
Registered
759 Posts
The rool bars were not put in with any precise measurement that we have seen. They are welded to a L-shaped 1/4 steel plate that was welded to the top and front of rear torque box. Since you will be cutting the interior qtrs. anyway there should not be too much precision involved there. Make sure the bar is centered left to right. For the location forward and aft; a good set of starting points to follow would be: the top of bar was bolted to the roof in the area where shoulder seatbelts would normally be bolted and approx. an 1' in front of the turned up edge of the rear torque box top. Make sure you are correct on where you want the roll bar before welding the roll bar to the torque box as it will be a bear to get out, if possible at all once welded in place.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Hope you don't have a upper console! :jawdrop:

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts