Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Payed Mustangs Plus $389 for a Maier Racing 67 Shelby short hood to go on my 67 vert. Also, payed $115 shipping and $15 crate fee for a grand total of $519 for a hood I can't use! Why don't they make these things fit right???????? It just flat out gets me ticked. Since I bought it months ago and am just getting around to putting it on now, they won't take it back. Anyway, we got frustrated after 2 hours of trying to make it fit and just stuck it in the corner of the shop. Today I ordered picked up a steel hood from a friend and settled that mess. I guess a true body man could make it fit but give me the King Doofus award b/c we couldn't. I'm not any kind of body man; if I can't bolt it on, I'm stuck. Anyway, I'm venting. Wish me luck, I'm putting an ad in the local paper to sell it. Hopefully a body man will buy it!

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Try getting the hood on the car, then go for a drive and have the thing fly off! Then Im sure you would really be ticked! Happend to me...... and I hate to even think about it.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Fact of life--fiberglass parts don't fit well, whether they're original or repros. We have spent hours on the short 67 Shelby hood for my fastback, although most of the work was to smooth the underside and the cutouts. Two weeks ago we realized that the driver's side had a noticeable incurved edge. At least it was noticeable once we put the fender on. We spent another few days building up that edge and cutting it to make it straight. It looks terrific. Now we've discovered that the other side also has a problem. At least we know our method works. Yes, it's a lot of work, but this is going to be one gorgeous hood once we're done. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Just don't get me going on the side scoops!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Fly over Mustang plus and drop in on their skylight.....(imagining it crashing through the glass in the show room)

just kidding

heehee

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just keep this thread going and maybe someone over there will take notice of it and redesign the hood ORRR....stop selling crap alltogether. They all have a sleeper on VMF now and then. I had toyed with the idea of putting one of these short Shelby style hoods on my 67....

But Not Now....

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Had the same problems with the same hood from MU. Took hours and will never be perfect. All fiberglass is like this and the recent explosion in demand has cut into the quality.

I have heard rumors of a glass company in Florida that is turning out some really good product though.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
ALWAYS look at return policies.... Most vendors have a 30 day return deadline. Wait until you actually need the part before you order.

Carpet and seat covers are the last thing you'll need in a restoration, but too often ordered months in advance. If something's wrong, you get screwed!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Do you know if the place in florida is these guys? I was looking at some of their stuff but thought that the prices were too low to actually have a quality product. Since their return policy is "all sales are final" it is a mistake I just do not care to make.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it's the morning after my temper tantrum about the 67 shelby fiberglass short hood. AND I'M STILL TICKED! But, I got a steel hood now so the project at least doesn't have to wait. Now to hope someone (body man preferred, because I'm going to tell them it doesn't fit well) calls about the hood in the paper. The ad comes out Thursday morning. Wish me luck.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Its not those guys. I ordered a set of lower side scoops for my car, and they were TOTAL CRAP. The gel coat had huge nicks in it, and the all around fit WAS CRAP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts