Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was the shelby fiberglass tailight just bolted up to in front of the metal on the rear panel or was the panel actually cut to fit it? Does anyone have any pictures info etc? Thanks!

Mathew

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Are you talking about the original or the repros?

·
Registered
630 Posts
The original metal taillight panel on my gt350 was cut out to accomodate the cougar tailights. The fiber glass Shelby taillight panel is screwed on to the the areas above and below the original concave metal taillight panel. The fiberglass panel fits nicely in the space bordered by the 1/4 panel extensions, valence, and deck lid.

I'm not sure if I've answered you questions. Let me know if you need more info.

wjj

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im talking about the repro fiberglass panels. Is there any cutting i will need to do on the car's metal panel itself or does everything just bolt in etc? Thanks!

Mathew

·
Administrator
19,511 Posts

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
First: there is a large rectangular cut out in the original Mustang sheet metal. This was backed by a riveted on metal structure by Shelby. Second: There are two types of fiberglass panels (original ones that is) the early type butted up against the perimeter of the trunk and watch out as it leaks fumes into the trunk if its not sealed well. The second one has a lip on it that screws along the trunk opening along the top. Then you delicatly install the tail lights. You really ought to look at a real car before attempting this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts