Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 s-code with bashed in shock towers. Not knowing that there is supposedly a difference between the BB and SB shoock towers I got a set from a SB. I can't notice a difference. Yet, I've heard now that there is. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. -Brian.

1967 fastback S-code (project)

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I don't think there is a difference. Ford used heads with a special bolt pattern and different manifolds in order for the big blocks to fit.

68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker

G

·
0 Posts
The only thing Ford did for the 67 BB towers was fold the lips down on the inner pieces and stick weld them cruedly to the outer shock tower to give more strength,I wish I had a picture handy to show you, maybe someone else will, or if you have your old ones still you will see-it is the inner support piece that the motor mounts bolt to-but on the upper side pieces where they flare out, you will have to hammer over the edges most likely to narrow the gap on the SB towers, but you should be able to duplicate if not improve the look of how the BB towers were done.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed

Descendent of Francois Seguin dit Laderoute,
Soldier Regiment d' Carignan, New France 1665-1668

G

·
0 Posts
I'd also like to see a picture of BB shock towers. I have a 67' Convertible where one shock tower has been "repaired" similar to what you describe. If this is something that Ford did, I wouldn't feel so bad about leaving it.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Difficult to see, but I hammered the flaps over and then welded them to the inner fender. My brother has an original 390 FB so I copied his...

http://www.classic-mustang.net/jay/67cv/img/67cv_enginebay_r_up.jpg

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

G

·
0 Posts
Thanks. I think I see what you're talking about. How do you attach a picture? I tried to circle the area and repost the picture, but no luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts